Raising a Shower Tray

ijc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Grateful for any tips on this one....

I'm fitting a resin quadrant shower tray with adjustable feet onto a solid floor. However, it needs to be raised higher to allow a proper fall for the waste pipes.

From you guys' experience, is it acceptable to lay some lengths of timber on the floor for the feet of the tray to screw down onto? I was hoping to just bed the timber in Gripfill and use the showertray's adjustable feet to ensure it is level.

Is this OK, or is there a better method used by the professionals?

Cheers

Ian

Sponsored Links
in the same way as a bath is done..sounds ok to me..use wide and full length boards..ie a piece that goes under two legs (rather than 4 short bits)..screw it down securely...
would bother screwing it as you may need access in yrs to come and its easier to get to....
but...is the panel that hides the legs gojng to fit ?

Thank you for your reply jpc. Sounds like good advice.

I'll screw some good sized lengths down, and try to join them up for extra stability, but in way that still allows access to the pipes. Are you suggesting I don't use any gripfill, in case it all has to be removed?

I think the front panel that came with the tray might have to be ditched as the length of the waste run dictates that the shower will be a number of inches off the ground, probably necessitating a step.

Which leads me to ask, is there a material suited to forming a curved front panel around the base of the tray? It looks like a tricky job that!

yes screw it only..should be suficent. carefull down screw into any pipes/wires !!!
once u are happy with the tray being place and that the waste fits and does not leak its worth taking it out for one last time and appliying some silicone to the 2 / 3 sides of the tray that touch the wall....when it sets overnight it will give it some rally good stability

Why is it having to be raised so much...cant the waste go under the floorboards to the outside ?...indeed does the raiser kit u have bought not raise it enough to have a adequate fall ?

Sponsored Links
Lay 4 thermalite blocks on the floor & cover with a good layer of mortar, then bed the tray on that.

Thanks again for your responses.

The bathroom has a posh tiled floor which I'm not about to dig up or replace. As such, lifting the tiles to run the pipe under the floor isn't an option. Also, the only place in the room the shower can go is about 2m from the waste outlet, so the tray does need raising, and the adjustable feet won't quite take it high enough.

Cheers for the tip with the silicone - I'll do everything possible to stabilise the tray, and that sounds ideal.

In response to sand/cement suggestion - the tray is one of those moulded resin ones with its own integral feet, so bedding down isn't appropriate.

Cheers

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back