Existing flue question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I have a flue which protrudes from a garage where the bolier is positioned to outside.

Looking to build an extension such that the flue would then be enclosed in the extension in a utility room.

Can anyone tell me the regulations please? Are there kits to enable the gas to purge to outside or is this a no no i.e. is a boiler movement necessary?

Sponsored Links
What boiler is it ?, you can buy flue extension kits and plume management kits, You are better off though calling in your local RGI from the gas safe website to look at the situation to best advise, If it's an old boiler chances are you'll not get a flue kit for it

What boiler is it ?, you can buy flue extension kits and plume management kits, You are better off though calling in your local RGI from the gas safe website to look at the situation to best advise, If it's an old boiler chances are you'll not get a flue kit for it

Cheers for replying.

Its an Apollo 30si boiler.

Guess am asking two types of question - a) is it possible - which your reply suggests it is with these kits b) is it legal to pass these extension kits through part of a house?

Looking at the following website http://www.partsarena.co.uk/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/installation/2489/I19-2489/I19-2489.htm

it states the following:

In addition a 965 mm (38 in) flue extension is available. Under no circumstances should more than two extension kits be used.

Does this seem 'normal' and up to date? i.e. the boiler is circa 19 years old.

It is allowed if the MI says it is, as Manufacturers instructions (MI) are always the law in these cases, although current gas regs also have to be followed regarding clearances etc. as said before though get an RGI in to inspect, may be an issue getting flue for your boiler though

Sponsored Links
you want get flue bits for that boiler. You'll need to move it or replace it.

Cheers for replying.

Looks as though both www.boilerparts.co.uk and www.heatingreplacementspares.co.uk both stock these but at £145 per extension kit (two would be needed).

Is anyone aware of a) if these are for horizontal use only? i.e. are these types of kits for use in only certain positions.

Guess be good to know if anyone was aware of any cheaper stockists too before I ask my RGI to have a look.

I would phone and check they definately have what you think you need. Either way get someone to come and see if what your proposing can happen before ordering anything. If you end up keeping the boiler and extending the flue I'll be very surprised.

i would replace the boiler if i were you

a high efficiency boiler should save you a few quid on your gas bills anyway

It always surprises me that people have extensions built costing about £15k but baulk at replacing a boiler at say 2k which will save them about 30% on their gas bill.

Tony

...Looking to build an extension such that the flue would then be enclosed in the extension in a utility room.

Can anyone tell me the regulations please?
Only one correct answer to this. You need a RGI to assess the situation on site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back