New light fixture fitted (with pics) not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope all having a nice holiday weekend.

After having ceiling plastered and painted I have fitted new light fitting (as shown) but getting nothing when switched on.

I did check the looped live terminal shown with red tape and that looks fine, besides other lights on this circuit work.

Wiring remains as was when previous light fitting was removed, I have even cut back a few mm for fresh copper but still nowt.

View media item 33672

Could the light fitting be faulty?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
To check your wiring, the one red wire going to the fitting will be either red from a cable containing two reds.

Have you checked the bulbs (lamps) are ok, and screwed in properly, ie not too tight and not too loose?

Do you have a dimmer switch?

If so, dimmer could be faulty or not suitable for light.

Have you checked at the switch for bad connection?

Yes, the cable from the switch box has two reds.

Newly fitted bulbs came with the fitting, I'll try some working Osrams I have and let you know if it works.

No dimmer, I have checked wiring for switch also, even cut back a few mm and re-terminated.

Will try the Osram bulbs.

Thanks for input :)

If screw in lamps, the lamp may not be making good contact with the lampholder; the contact may need bending forward to meet the end of the lamp.
Make sure power is OFF, and check it is OFF.

Also, check there is 230 v between neutral and the single switched live red. Use a test meter set to voltage - you need the power on so work safely. Do you have a test meter?

Sponsored Links
And tidy up the red core going in to the L it's a mess, no bare wire should be accesable outside the terminal block.

If screw in lamps, the lamp may not be making good contact with the lampholder; the contact may need bending forward to meet the end of the lamp.
Make sure power is OFF, and check it is OFF.

Also, check there is 230 v between neutral and the single switched live red. Use a test meter set to voltage - you need the power on so work safely. Do you have a test meter?

I don't have a meter at hand now but will call someone in.

BTW - I trimmed down the live red, calm down, carry on...

Wiring doesn't look right to be. Unless you happen to have twin red, at least one of the black wires should either be in with the rest of the reds, or wired into the L terminal on the fitting. I suspect all you have right now is a setup where the switch links N to L on the fitting.

If everything is wired correctly and you have tested for 230v across the switch live and neutral/earth then....

Broken bulb? - test them on other known working lighting units.

Broken lamp unit? - connect to 3Amp fused plug and test at known working socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back