4 core cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just removed the fan and shaving point from our bathroom .The cable for the fan switch came down from the loft so my plan was to pull the cable up and use it to put a socket in the loft .
My qusetion is can I wire this 4 core cable into the socket if so what is the 4th wire is that a second live and do i just wire that into the live terminal in the socket.

Kind regards

Neil

Sponsored Links
You can use the 4 core for a socket but only a 2 or a 5 Amp socket . You cannot use a 13A as you will risk overloading the lighting circuit and it is a temptation to plug in an appliance that is too juicy for the cct which will trip it .

Normally we put a 2 amp socket on the lighting circuit purely for the TV amplifier .

What cable was feeding the shaver socket ? This would normally be a twin and earth cable so would have just the live neutral and earth in it .

I would recommend just removing the cable all together if you are not using it for anything or just install a junction box on the ends .

Nick

Sponsored Links
Have just removed the fan and shaving point from our bathroom .The cable for the fan switch came down from the loft so my plan was to pull the cable up and use it to put a socket in the loft .
My qusetion iscan I wire this 4 core cable into the socket if so what is the 4th wire is that a second live and do i just wire that into the live terminal in the socket.

Kind regards

Neil
For you to alter wires in a bathroom there are two methods.
1) Become a member of a scheme. If this was really an option you would not likely be asking the question.
2) Submit the plans to local authority building control and pay their £100+ fee.

So simple answer is yes you can wire but likely it would be cheaper to get an electrician who is a member of the scheme to wire it for you.

Because the circuit is likely only rated at 6 amp you would need to use 2 or 5 amp sockets protected with a fused connection unit. Which likely would not be what you were wanting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back