Tile quality question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I sort of asked this question at the end of someone elses topic, but am starting a new thread to do it properly!

We're extending our bathroom and the costs are beginning to mount fast, i.e. Building work, new shower, bath, toilet, basin, underfloor heating etc and we're wondering if tiles are an area we can save money by buying from the likes of b&q, wickes or the like, instead of where the builder has recommended? I was probably going to use the builder (his son actually) to do the tiling as I can't tie my own shoelace, nevermind tile a bathroom!

The question I guess is really, do you get what you pay for when it comes to tiles, or will those places be fine?

Keith

Sponsored Links
Hiya Keith,
i'd be lying if i said you dont get what you pay for, but you should be able to achieve a perfectly good finish with some of the more budget tiles. i'm not convinced that the diy sheds are your only\best option. but then i own a tile shop so i would say that.

definately dont skimp on adhesive\grout\primer quality or on the substrates, assuming that they arent in yet as these are the real key to the durability of the finish. the adhesives\grouts etc at the diy outlets are usually dearer and lower quality than some of the stuff the trade uses.

tile wise, could you post some links to the sort of thing you have seen\like or something to go on? a good quality ceramic wall tile shouldn't end up costing you the earth.

Sponsored Links
Hi Keith.
the price isnt cheap. you should be able to get down into the low twentys including vat. one place i can see your costs escalating is the mosiac border, its often a lot cheaper to buy them in sheets and just cust the sheet backing with a stanley knife to make border strips - look to spend around 5-6 quid a sheet, this should get you 4-5 borders which will work out a lot cheaper.

Have a look at some of the online tile retailers, you'll get your prices down without losing too much quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back