Building Regs Time Implications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have planning approval for our 2 storey rear, single storey side extension + garage conversion and first floor extension (building over the garage). All on 1 application.

We are likely to do this work in two phases, starting with the garage conversion with first floor extension. It is my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) that once we start this work, the 3 year time limit on PLANNING becomes irrelevant as we have started the approved development (even if not in whole).

How does this differ with building regs? I am trying to work out if I should apply for the building regs (full plans) as one or two separate phases. The plans and structural calcs are already drafted to cover the whole thing.

Some specific questions are:

With building regs, I understand you must start work within 3 years of depositing the plans- would this "cover" us if we started phase 1 immediately, but didn't start "phase 2" for 4/5 years?

Must you build to current regs, or to the plans which are approved. ie, if the regs change in two years but we have approved plans, might we have to alter how phase 2 gets built?

The regs process involves visits at various times of the build. If I did this in phases, it would require 2 visits for foundations, 2 visits for drainage etc etc. therefore would I be able to get signoff for any of the work before the whole project is complete?

Sponsored Links
I'm in the process of a similar phased development, detached garage = phase 1, kitchen/bathroom extension = phase 2, conservatory = phase 3.

On the first visit by BCO I informed him it would be a phased development, he agreed it was the sensible way forward. No extra costs were incurred.

Garage is completed and I have a completion certificate for that part.
Kitchen/bathroom extension is in progress. Just up to wallplate height, waiting for trusses.
I have built the conservatory walls at the same time, as obviously it made sense to do the footings at the same time, but the roof can wait.

I suspect that the Building Regs are as agreed at the time (2007) and BCO has not indicated any different.

It is certainly the case here that Planning Permission, once started is indefinite. I suspect that is more or less universal.

Thanks RedHerring, definitely useful to hear of an actual example rather than assumptions. I assume that you told the BCO after you'd paid the fee to the office for the whole lot?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back