Potterton Promax 24HE Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has been having issues with reliability on hot water with the above boiler and yesterday it totally went then came back at a mild temp.

RGI came out and replaced a thermistate, boiler working all is well. Today hot water totally gone and not come back so the RGI came back. Couldn't get it going so rang Potterton who diagnosed a fault on the new part. This was changed but still not working. Its now been diagnosed as a PCB fault.

I'm not looking for a fault diagnosis or labour cost but does anybody have an idea of the cost on a PCB? Just so my mother isn't too shocked when he comes back Tuesday (ordering part Monday)

Sponsored Links
There are two questions, whst will it cost him, maybe 170 and what he will charge your mum, maybe 400 ?

Not that many engineers accept cards as the card axcceptance systems are expensive.

I calculated that if only a third used cards ther we would have to increase out charges by £3 per job.

Then no one would want to use a card as they would prefer to avoid the £3.

Only once did I seem to have lost a job because of not acccepting cards. A French teacher wanted her rented flat boiler repaired but said she wanted to pay the £84 charge on a card. That surprised me as teachers in London earn a minimum of about £25k.

So she called someone else who told her it would cost £500 to repair, removed a wire to add to the fault, and charged her £90 on the credit card for coming out!

Then she called me but as I had to do a further repair of refitting the wire he had removed I had to charge her an extra £10. She paid me with a cheque.

Had she got me to do the repair in the beginning she could have saved her landlord £100 and had hot water 10 deays earlier!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Is it a system boiler or a combi - system boilers have hot water cylinders, combis do not.

If the hot water is failing on a system boiler this could be a problem with a 2 or 3 port control valve.

If a combi the secondary plate heat exchanger could be partially blocked, or the diverter valve and controls could have a problem, a common issue with the divertor actuators used in this boiler and a lot of others is the seal on the divertor pin failing and water ingress into the actuator, either causing electrical failure or scaling up and causing extra resistance until the actuator burns out.

Your RGI, if not a potterton trained engineered should consult the manufacturers instructions or call their tech help line rather than replacing parts on a hunch.

The 24he is a stand alone heat only boiler. All the info about plates, diverters pins, etc is not applicable here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back