Crabtree IP56 Outdoor Socket Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

In need of help please! I have a Crabtree IP56 outdoor socket which I wired through from an existing internal socket in our kitchen for the washing machine.(I didn't install this I'm a novice!)

It's worked fine for over a year at weekend after lengthy use of an outdoor heater plugged into it, the socket went off.this has also prevented our washing machine working.

I have checked the circuit box and nothing had tripped and I've checked the fuses for the washing machine and they are fine.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Hi folks

In need of help please! I have a Crabtree IP56 outdoor socket which I wired through from an existing internal socket in our kitchen for the washing machine.(I didn't install this I'm a novice!)

It's worked fine for over a year at weekend after lengthy use of an outdoor heater plugged into it, the socket went off.this has also prevented our washing machine working.

I have checked the circuit box and nothing had tripped and I've checked the fuses for the washing machine and they are fine.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Have you checked the cables in the sockets to make sure they are not loose?
Can you smell burning at the sockets- have the cables burnt out?
What was the rating of the heater?
What size cable runs to and from the washing machine socket and to and from the outside socket and how many cables are there at both sockets?

I know little about electrics however I took apart the outdoor and indoor sockets.all wires were fully connected and none looked burnt, no funny smells.

Not sure of the heater rating but it's something we have used freequently over the last yr without issue though we did have it on for significantly longer than normal.

You need to establish whether there is power at either of the sockets.

Have you tried running something else from the sockets like a hair dryer or something electrical that you know works?

Do any of the other sockets work on this circuit?

Are either of the sockets connected via a Fused Connection Unit if so have you check this fuse?

Sponsored Links
Yes well inwas hoping it would be something simple I could resolve without the expense of an electrician but I may have to resort to that

My money will be a blown fuse in a fused spur supplying the washing machine socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back