Pointing Indian sandstone with the Durgan gun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered if anyone has used the durgan gun for pointing patios.I have used it many times for various things but not pointing patios.With the size of the sandstone slabs you dont get equal size joints.You have to make it look pleasing to the eye(split the difference). I prefer smaller joints (12mm) but because of different sizes some joints no doubt will be up to 20mm. As you can only use building sand in the Durgan would it be OK for the larger joints? What's the maximum joint width for building sand? I am fairly good with the gun and the thought of pointing 100metres without it is a bit daunting. Ie making sure the mix is compacted,not staining the slabs etc. Sorry to go on a bit but wanted to give any potential helpers the full picture :D

Sponsored Links
Sorry to go on a bit but wanted to give any potential helpers the full picture :D
I bought one of those. Broke the catches on it after a couple of uses so it was just another piece of junk in the garage. The mix inside went 'solid' even though it had plasticiser in it.

If you've ever mixed custard powder into a small amount of milk you will know the strange effect of the liquid going solid when you try to stir it. Similar effect in the durgun which just caused the catches to sheer off.

have you tried any of the polymeric mortars? Rompox GTFK etc.

They are very good and light years ahead of the brush in crap you used to get. Also they are very good on sandstone as you can not stain it with them

Sponsored Links
no i havnt tried them but heard bad reports.Personally i prefer to use wet pointing as i believe its harder wearing

Not the dry brush in stuff, I am talking about professional 2 part compounds with epoxy hardener that is put in as a wet slurry.

Have a google of 'ncc streetscape gtfk' or 'rompox d1' before dimissing my advice.

Yes i have just looked.Thanks it looks good.It doesnt state on the website the coverage.Wondered if you had used it and what sort of coverage.It seems expensive but maybe coverage is good.

It is pretty expensive. I only recently have been converted to a certain extent and previously had done all my pointing the usual way but after a friend who is also a landscaper harped on about it enough i gave it a try.

I used it on 1 landscaping job and it makes pointing so fast check the ncc site for coverage stats, they are on the data sheets

Using it professionally the speed and also massive advantage that you can do it in the rain makes it very viable. The sheer cost for a diyer would make it less attractive, but a guaranteed stain free result and the fact that it is an attractive colour and texture makes it good.

r86 neo- Thanks for the replies. It does look good. BUT........it is for my house and i have 80metres+ to do so i think it would be too expensive.I can see what your saying about using it for jobs though because you can reflect it in your price and its quicker like you stated which saves time/money. I agree with what you said about being expensive for home use as unfortunately i dont get payed for working indoors :( . Although conventional pointing takes a lot longer it is a lot cheaper if you are not charging labour. Thanks again for your help.Would definately try it on a job.

you could try buttering joints as you go, it takes a bit of practise but can save time as joints only need struck and brushed once firmed up. The secret is getting the flag bedding close so not too much hammering is needed to take it down as this brings a lot of water up.

I have thought of that but not to sure as i wouldnt be able to walk on the slabs to iron in and would it not be too wet to iron in straight away? Also i have put a concrete slab down and have been told that the pointing should be left 24 hrs to allow for the bedding mortar to dry.

Yes that is the problem with large areas, you have to walk on the slabs to do it. You need to know just when to get on them and obviously only walk on the centre of larger flags.

Whilst it is more common to leave it until the next day that is because of the risk of walking on the flags too soon and leaving flags rocking.

the pointing should be left 24 hrs to allow for the bedding mortar to dry.

This is the kind of thing said by people who think their way is the only way and any other way is somehow not proper.

Afterall ask yourself this; Which is stronger, a joint which is fully integrated and part of the bedding mortar or a 30mm x10mm slip that has been pointed after the bedding has dried.

BUT All of that said leaving it until the next day is common for good reason as walking on the flags in the wrong way or too early will leave you with rocking ones. In a professional context when you can be sure all your flags are well bedded and consolidated it is less risky.

Thanks for the advice once again. I have got some smaller areas to do as well so i think i will give it a go pointing as i go. Maybe then i will be able to tackle the larger area in the same manner :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back