Tiling on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Hope someone can give me some clarification on this..
There seems to be some mixed messages on the forums about tiling on new plaster.

My plaster in my bathroom is dry and I have left it for 10 days, this should be ok right?

Also, its the first bit of plastering i have ever done and because I wanted to practice I have plastered to make it smooth all over.

Was this a mistake seeing as I am tiling floor to ceiling?

What preparation to the walls should there now be?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hope someone can give me some clarification on this.. There seems to be some mixed messages on the forums about tiling on new plaster.
What mixed messages?

My plaster in my bathroom is dry and I have left it for 10 days, this should be ok right?
A plaster skim can be tiled after 10-14 days, a base coat plaster/render & skim should be left for up to 4 weeks before tiling. If time is a factor it's best not to use plaster/conventional render at all.

Also, its the first bit of plastering i have ever done and because I wanted to practice I have plastered to make it smooth all over. Was this a mistake seeing as I am tiling floor to ceiling?
What was there before? Generally, if your tiling you don’t need to plaster; in fact it’s not desirable as it will reduce the maximum tile weight you can hang. This could be a problem if you’re planning on hanging large format tiles; what size weight are your tiles? What are the walls, plaster skim over boards or block walls?

What preparation to the walls should there now be?
It depends what tiles your hanging; anything much larger than 250mm will need a powder cement adhesive (not tub ready mix) & an acrylic primer must be used to avoid any reaction between the cement in the adhesive & the Gypsum in the plaster; never use standard PVA as a tile primer. With tub ready mix, not generally but follow the adhesive manufacturer’s instructions; priming when not necessary or using the wrong primer will affect tile adhesion.

Use only quality trade tiling materials, cheap DIY products are mostly crap.

These are the tiles

http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod29...-Grey-Wall-and-Floor-Tile-148x60cm.htmlbase=1

I can't find any weights on the packaging, didn't think about that before buying them or plastering, obviously this is a big mistake if they are too heavy, what can I do to still use them?

I have skim plastered over plasterboard which have had tiles removed 1/2 way up, painted rest the way up. I unibonded twice prior to 2 skim coats.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Also, could you reccomend a good quality acrylic primer for using on gysum multifinish?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
So having read the above and using that product that u have suggested, do u think all will be well?

Hotrod, I may have accidently cancelled my thanks for your post, was a mistake, sorry!

Gamp; that’ll teach me to check new threads before replying to old ones but why on earth did you post info which I’d already asked you for on here & which you said you did not know on a completely new thread? I don’t like second guessing information but since you didn’t seem to be able to provide the info, took a gamble on them being 8mm or less; never again. :rolleyes:

I really don’t appreciate making myself look stupid! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back