Fireplace hole needs plastering over but...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My plasterer said he didn't know what to do with the old fireplace hole.

The old fireplace has gone leaving just the hole. However, it seems to have been bricked-up and filled in with cement. More poured in and just left.

I want teh entire fireplace replastering to allow for an electric fire to be fixed to it.

Therefore, my question is should I chip-out the inside to allow me to block the front of the hole with concrete blocks?

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I want the entire fireplace replastering to allow for an electric fire to be fixed to it.

Therefore, my question is should I chip-out the inside to allow me to block the front of the hole with concrete blocks?

Yes,,,, clear it all out. You can then close up the opening with blocks. Make sure you tie/fix the new blockwork into the sides of the original opening. It also pays to plaster/skim the whole wall/area, rather than just patch,,, better job. Also, leave a "small" narrow rectangular hole in the blockwork, so that after it's plastered, a small plastic air vent can be fixed over it, to give ventilation/air flow to the chimney. Most of these vents are normally fixed lower down on the wall, around 6" to 8 "or so above the skirting board. A small 9"x 3" adjustable vent is perfect for this type of job,,, a couple of quid or so each.

Good advice from roughcaster as usual.

Just to add! if the chimneyhead is present, it is advisable to cap off with a vented terminal.

Sponsored Links
I've cleared all out but was thinking, before I block-up the hole, could the plasterer not plasterboard the entire fireplace and skim it. Leave a small air hole as I am planning on fitting an electric flame effect fire with the fixings being wider than the hole?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back