Lights dim after a couple of miniutes use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently fitted a set of 12v lights 5 in total on the landing and a set of 4 halogen lights over the staris these are connected on to one dimmer. The original fitted lights were std bulb type and worked fine. The lights power up fine and after a couple of mins dim by themselves????? if i turn the dimer switch lower then raise it again the lights brighten, but again after a couple of mins dim again. I have tried 2 dimmer switches on them the latest rated at double 300w/240va 2 way. the second circuit controls the bathroom lights.

Thanks Cally

Sponsored Links
What's the total load of the lights you're dimming?

Is 300W the rating of the dimmer for halogens, or should it be derated for them?

Are the ELV ones suitable for dimming?

Is the dimmer capable of handling ELV lights?

Does the type of dimmer (leading edge/trailing edge) match what the power supply for the ELV lights needs?

Ban is hitting the nail on the head, I think.

Some intelligent dimmers automatically restrict the loading on the dimmer if it is overloaded, thus reducing brightness.

If you have 50W in each, the loading is 450W. You do not say if the set of 4 are mains or ELV.

For halogen fittings, dimmers must in some cases be derated by as much as 50%. Ie a 400W dimmer must be loaded with no more than 200W of halogen lighting.

Talk to the dimmer mfrs about the best type of dimmer for your lighting, and the rating.

You may have to split the sets up into one set of 5 and one of 4, and put them on different dimmers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back