RCCB switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am a complete laic, when it comes to electricity problem (humanist), so please help. Basically we lost electricity in half of the apartment this morning. This is a new apartment we live in for a short time now so we are afraid to break anything, and this unfortune failure happend just when our administrator, that normally deals with these issues, is away for a hoilday. OK, so when we look into electric box we find first RCCB switch followed by smaller switches that belong to kitchen sockets and equipment, than a second RCCB switch belonging to the living area, a room and a bathroom followed by smaller switches: sockets, A.C., smoke alarm, lights and finally we have the Main Switch. Now, when we lost power in living area, room and the bathroom I looked into the electric box and saw that the only switch that was OFF was the second RCCB. So, I tought I would just turn it back ON again and everything would be all right, so I tried and I heard a rumble and saw a blink of light from living area sockets, at the same time a second RCCB popped out again together with the sockets switch that is just next to it. So these two switches are now OFF, and obviously we still do not have a power in living area / a room / and a bathroom. There is one thing I should have mentioned as well, in the electric box, just above each RCCB switch there is a mysteriuos TEST button. My question to you experts is how to safely restore the power on again. I imagine that it is rather simple, but I am afraid of trying one more time after this unpleseant thing that happend when I actually tried. Is there any order of how I can turn on the switches again, maybe I shoud first turn off the Main Switch, than turn on all the others and finally turn on the Main Switch back on? Or it should be done differently? I would really appriciate your help. Thank you.

Best wishes,
Sara and Peter

Sponsored Links
Remove everything from the sockets and try to reset the RCD and the switch MCB.

It is possible that you either have a problem with one of the sockets - or with one of the items you have plugged in.

The test button is there to test mechanics of the RCD - should be pressed for test every three months.

Remove everything from the sockets and try to reset the RCD and the switch MCB.

It is possible that you either have a problem with one of the sockets - or with one of the items you have plugged in.

The test button is there to test mechanics of the RCD - should be pressed for test every three months.

OK, please do not loose you patience, so I understand that RCD is RCCB and MCB is the Main Switch yes? After I remove everything from the sockets which switch should I reset first, Main Switch or RCCB, does the order matter?

Thanks

I have infinite patience.

You should have the main switch - 2 RCCB (RCD's) and a number of MCB's.

In general terms..
The Main switch will isolate all the circuits when switched off.
The RCD's will isolate (in your case) half the circuits.
The Minature Circuit Breakers's will isolate their particular circuit.

So far your RCD tripped on the living room circuit side of the board.
In addition you living room socket circuit MCB has tripped as well.

Unplug everything on the living room socket circuit.
The switch on the MCB and then switch on the RCD.
If nothing trips then it possible that one of your appliances has a fault.
If it trips without anything plugged in then come back to me.

Sponsored Links
I have infinite patience.

You should have the main switch - 2 RCCB (RCD's) and a number of MCB's.

In general terms..
The Main switch will isolate all the circuits when switched off.
The RCD's will isolate (in your case) half the circuits.
The Minature Circuit Breakers's will isolate their particular circuit.

So far your RCD tripped on the living room circuit side of the board.
In addition you living room socket circuit MCB has tripped as well.

Unplug everything on the living room socket circuit.
The switch on the MCB and then switch on the RCD.
If nothing trips then it possible that one of your appliances has a fault.
If it trips without anything plugged in then come back to me.

Hurrah, it works now, as you said I turned on MCB (sockets) and than the RDC. I will now try to use these sockets back again, one by one to see which one is bad or they may be fine now, may not they? Thanks for everything!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back