Replacing mechanical stat with wireless programmable stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I simply replace my mechanical stat with a wireless stat? Dont want to touch the boiler so was planning on installing the receiver where the existing stat is. Question is can I do this as my existing stat only has 3 wires (as follows) and the wireless receiver needs 4 wires! Is it possible to use the one live wire from the old stat to feed the 2 live contacts on the new receiver?

Old - New

Live - Live and common
Switched live - Call for heat
Neutral - Neutral

If I cannot do this I will simply use a wired programmable stat. Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Wireless stats need a perm live, only way is to remove the timer at the boiler and install a wireless timer/room stat system and make the common/live perm.
and add a link from perm live to common on the new stat.

Also not all stats run on 230v it could be a low voltage version mechanical stat.

There really is no point in putting the base unit where the current stat is.
What boiler?

The plan is to set the existing timer to permanently on, therefore the live from the boiler will be permanent. Therefore can I connect my "live" wire to both the permanent live and common on the new receiver?

The boiler is a Ferroli Falcon with a round digital 24hr programmer.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Stick the base unit next to the boiler, high up if possible.
Run a twin cable ( NOT twin and earth ) from the boiler roomstat connection to the switch connection of the new unit, plus a twin to provide 230V from the same 3A spur that feeds the boiler.
Job done, Bob's your uncle.

Which model Falcon.

Most use volts free, stick 240v on it and fry the board.

...Most use volts free, stick 240v on it and fry the board.
True as that may be, it doesn't matter if you connect it ( correctly ) as I said. By using a twin cable, you just connect the "switch contacts".

True but you'll still need 240v on the other side.
Hence my recommendation of 2 twin cables in stead of multicore; you got to be a real muppet to get it wrong that way.
But then again...... :rolleyes: :LOL:

Forgot to mention: technically speaking, this job would need certification by a registered electrician or lbo.
There are rumours that some people have not bothered getting electrical work certified; shocking really. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back