How effective is internal solid wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to get my 4 bed detached house redecorated (been in about a year now)
I was thinking of getting internal solid wall insulation on the extrnal facing walls as it was a b****ger to heat last winter.

How effective is it? is it reasonably straightforward?
I would like to keep room size to a maximum and assume that using some sort of boards will be in order from what i have read

cheers

Sponsored Links
Trouble is spacecat, there's insulation and there's insulation. The good stuff is good and the crap stuff is not so good - but it's cheap. I'd consider something like Lafarge thermalcheck K. It's basically plasterboard with insulation stuck to the back. You can fix it with adhesive but I'd add some mechanical fixing as well. It comes in 40, 50 and 60mm thickness. The thicker the better for heat loss, the thinner the better for cost. Price up both ends of the scale and fit what you can afford. Remember fuel costs are only going in one direction. Not so long ago 100mm of loft insulation was the norm and everybody thought fitting more was a waste of money.

50mm thermal check k going in looks really good and doesn't take up much space at all

Winter will be the test :eek:

Sponsored Links
It should make a fairly decent difference. Bear in mind that internal insulation is what's known as high response. That means that when you turn your heating on the room should get warm quickly but because very little heat is being absorbed into the walls the room only stays warm for as long as you have the heating on. Compare that with external insulation where the heavy masonry walls absorb heat. That means the room takes longer to warm but stays warmer for longer after you turn the heating off. High response is more efficient for most domestic systems that heat intermittently - because it is more responsive and therefore more controllable.

Cheers

Getting new convector/finned radiators as well, got old 1970s steel ones at the mo so that should help

50mm thermal check k going in looks really good and doesn't take up much space at all

Not much of anything does not not take up a lot of space. You bought this as an insulation product so you need to wait a few months to make any jugdement on its worth

Not much of anything does not not take up a lot of space. You bought this as an insulation product so you need to wait a few months to make any jugdement on its worth

i kinda said that in my other post today about winter being the test

my comment also stands as it is not very intrusive but if it works then double good,certainly should be better than nothing at all heat wise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back