SKY Planner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just getting SKY+HD box fitted this week but still have unwatched programs on my old SKY+ box, can i fit this box to another TV to watch them or will i need the box connected to the dish, as we have some programs series linked i cant see how i can watch everything we have in the planner before we start recording something else

Thanks

Brett

Sponsored Links
If you have saved programes, then you can watch them on any tv that you connect your old sky box to. (The sky box is only a hard drive.)
Forget the old box for series link & programe youe new box with what you had on the old box for series linking.

Thanks for that, its what i thought SKY were telling me it wont work and i'll have to copy them to my HDD DVD recorder, which is pretty much the same thing as the sky+ hard drive

Thanks again

Brett

When you record stuff on your Sky+ box, it records the data stream from the dish; it doesn't record the tv program as a movie or video file - it records the raw encoded data, and only decodes this when you play back the recording... This means that to watch anything you have stored on your box, you'll need to have the box connected to the dish. It needs this connection to enable the 'decode' function to work when playing back the recordings. You'll also need you Sky card in the box.

When you have the new SkyHD box installed, they'll take your card out of the Sky+ box and pair it to the HD box. By doing this, it'll no longer work in the + box... (unless you get Sky to re-pair it). So, unfortunately, you can't easily just swap the Sky+ box back to watch your recordings on it after the Sky bloke's set up the HD box.

Short story - Sky were right. The only way to watch what you've got stored is to copy it all over to a HDDVD recorder while the box is still connected to the dish and your account card is still paired to that box.

Sponsored Links
When you record stuff on your Sky+ box, it records the data stream from the dish; it doesn't record the tv program as a movie or video file - it records the raw encoded data, and only decodes this when you play back the recording... This means that to watch anything you have stored on your box, you'll need to have the box connected to the dish. It needs this connection to enable the 'decode' function to work when playing back the recordings. You'll also need you Sky card in the box.

When you have the new SkyHD box installed, they'll take your card out of the Sky+ box and pair it to the HD box. By doing this, it'll no longer work in the + box... (unless you get Sky to re-pair it). So, unfortunately, you can't easily just swap the Sky+ box back to watch your recordings on it after the Sky bloke's set up the HD box.

Short story - Sky were right. The only way to watch what you've got stored is to copy it all over to a HDDVD recorder while the box is still connected to the dish and your account card is still paired to that box.

Thanks for that, just learnt something, sorry I gave bum info Brett

Thats OK, my new HD TV dosnt arrive till end of June, but the deal i did with SKY had to be done this week so what i am thinking of is when the engineer turns up with box i am going to ask him to just leave me the box till i have cleared the planner either by watching what we dont want to keep and copying to HDD recorder stuff we do and then conecting it up myself

Brett

and then conecting it up myself

It is easy enough to change the Sky+ box with the SkyHD box when you want to. Just remember you will have to phone Sky when you change them so that they can pair your card to the new box. They will talk you through this no problem.

One thing to be care ful of though, SWMBO can record new programs to the old box quicker than you can clear them ;)

How good you are with computers? not long ago I have seen a tool to extract files from SKY box hard drive and copy them to the pc. Then you could copy them into your new hard drive and have them too. Also I have seen a decrypter somewhere (but I never used as I don't use sky box anymore). Let me know if this can help and I dig it out for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back