White painted pebbledash on 1820s stone building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a stone house dating back to around 1820s. It's covered with white painted pebbledash, which I've had checked and told it is secure. But we have a small area of water penetration through the ceiling in the bedroom, although the roof has recently been repaired and is sound. I'm wondering if weatherproofing the pebbleldash would be helped with another coat of white paint, or is something more extreme needed?

The wall is west-facing, so takes the brunt of the winter winds.

I'd be grateful if could give me an indication of the cost of suggestions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you've been told the pebbledash is in good condition/secure, and the recently repaired roof is sound, then it would be very difficult to say where the water is coming from. Another coat of external weatherproof paint certainly wouldn't do any harm either. "Where" on the ceiling is the water penetration,,, nearer/towards the wall/s? middle of the room? Are there any pipes in the roof space?

I have been to have a look at a job this evening which entailed re-rendering a chimney. The lady said that when the wind is in a certain direction water pours in through the ceiling on the side of the chimney. I looked through the skylight and could see the "soakers" (lead trays on each slate) and they looked ok .The lady said that the roof had been replaced not long ago (slate roof).I could also see the lead "apron" (a lead covering that sits on the slates and is shaped around each side of the bottom of the chimney and goes under the first line of soakers). All looked ok but underneath that area inside the bedroom she had a few bowls and buckets to "catch" the water that came in.!!!! On closer inspection I noticed that the "bell moulding" that the roofers had put on over the soakers and had rendered (they had cut a 9" section out up the pitch of the roof to fix the bell moulding on and rendered it in) had cracks forming in their render and was possibly letting in water .This would enable the water to run down the back of the soakers and appear as damp patches on the internal wall!! Also the apron (which was directly above the bowls and buckets ) looked as though it was not covering all the slates underneath it, thus allowing the rain to come straight through into the buckets and bowls when the wind was blowing in that direction!! I know this is a long winded post but I thought it might help you out as when people say ,"Oh the roof has been done recently" doesn't mean that the it was possibly done right!! I have now got to get scaffold up and rip out the work that the roofers done (that looked a good slating job at first!!) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back