Yale wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im thinking of buying a yale wireless alarm, are they reliable? could i run a door contact on my garage which is 30 feet away from the house? also Ive notice they dont come with a internal siren could one be used with this system? and i know this sounds stupid but how do the batterys stay charged :?:

Sponsored Links
Im thinking of buying a yale wireless alarm, are they reliable? could i run a door contact on my garage which is 30 feet away from the house? also Ive notice they dont come with a internal siren could one be used with this system? and i know this sounds stupid but how do the batterys stay charged :?:

In my opinion no they are not reliable.

Don't know about the contact, it may work it may not.

The batteries do not stay charged, they will need replacing.

My advice would be to get 3 quotes from local independent professional security installers, (NSI or SSAIB registered), if you are serious about wanting an alarm to protect your valuables don't scrimp on the kit, you may as well throw the money in the bin, or just put up some dummy bell boxes.

i know this sounds stupid but how do the batterys stay charged :?:

They do not stay charged, they have to be replaced at regular intervals.

Not a major problem for the sensors ( which I believe "tell" the control panel when their battery needs replacing )

But it is a problem with the battery in the external sounder which means going up a ladder with earplugs. As you open the case to replace the battery the tamper detector sets the alarm sounding, your ears are right next to it and you are at the top of a ladder. Hope you don't frighten easily.

And if it is located where the owner can reach it easily and safely ( essential for battery changing ) then so can other people.

And also the siren box does not have a transmitter so it cannot "tell" the control panel it needs a new battery. The owner has to look at regular intervals for indication on the siren box that it's battery is getting low. Miss the indication for a few days and the battery could then be completely flat and the siren rendered useless.

Some wireless alarms do have a power supply cable from the siren box through the wall to a power supply plugged into a socket in the room behind the box.

Sponsored Links

Extremely reliable

Yes you could have a wireless door contact on your garage which would be incorporated into your system

If you buy the family or premium alarm then you get a control panel with the system which has an internal sounder

The batteries do not stay charged they are used up over time and need replacing.

In reality this works out as follows:-

Each infra red sensor has 3 x AAA batteries . The cost to replace batteries less than £1 per sensor if you go to Maplins
Usual service life 24 - 30 months dependent on location.
ie busy kitchen diner area 24 months - upstairs landing 30 months as a guide.

Each door contact or keypad / keyfob has a lithium flat coin cell battery similar to a car remote battery - These last 3 yrs plus just like a car remote and cost around £3 to replace.

Your external siren has 4 x D cells.

You can tell if these batteries are running low.
If you keep setting your alarm off by being careless then the batteries can run down early . You can tell if they are low if the siren when sounding has a 'break' in its rythmn instead of a continuous warble.
If you don't keep setting off the alarm then these batteries will last up to six years.

I would simply recommend changing the batteries every second anniversary as a routine job. Time to do a full battery change including siren only half an hour. Cost in batteries around £20 so only a tenner a year in running costs.

If you keep setting your alarm off by being careless then the batteries can run down early .

Or if it keeps going off for no apparent reason, when in reality the sensors are poor quality, or they have been placed incorrectly.

I stick by my first post, get 3 quotes from professional companies, and then make your choice.

If you keep setting your alarm off by being careless then the batteries can run down early .

Or if it keeps going off for no apparent reason, when in reality the sensors are poor quality, or they have been placed incorrectly.

I stick by my first post, get 3 quotes from professional companies, and then make your choice.

Or someone who knows nothing about them talks a heap of crap

I will give you one concession to your ignorance and that is if the sensors have been placed incorrectly. Of course that would cause problems for ANY alarm system even one of those got from one of the three professional companies , however the poster specifically asked about YALE alrms which is where your expertise sadly runs out and mine becomes relevant.

As for poor quality , you are having a laugh. I have a powermax kit I used as a test sytem against a yale and the quality of its components was pitiful in comparison . . . and the going off for no apparent reason comment????
Strangely I could actually tell why any Yale system was activating 'unexpectedly' and it is so rarely a system fault its not even worth mentioning.
Operator error usually or poor sytem design.

Oh boy.
this should be fun. A guy who fits diy kit telling this particular professional he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Think i'll deffo pull up an armchair to watch this one.

You couldn't make it up, you really couldn't.

As for poor quality , you are having a laugh. I have a powermax kit I used as a test sytem against a yale and the quality of its components was pitiful in comparison . . . and the going off for no apparent reason comment????
Dear me, still playing about with that unit? How many years is that now?

i know this sounds stupid but how do the batterys stay charged :?:

They do not stay charged, they have to be replaced at regular intervals.

Not a major problem for the sensors ( which I believe "tell" the control panel when their battery needs replacing )

But it is a problem with the battery in the external sounder which means going up a ladder with earplugs. As you open the case to replace the battery the tamper detector sets the alarm sounding, your ears are right next to it and you are at the top of a ladder. Hope you don't frighten easily.

In the 6200 system you can tell when sensors are running low because the red lights on each sensor 'flicker for a few seconds' when activated instead of just blinking quickly on and off. At this stage you have around 3 weeks of battery life left.

In the 6300 and 6400 system indeed your control panel does warn you via the lcd screen which individual sensor has a low battery.
eg 'Kitchen sensor low battery' etc

You don't need to deafen yourself when changing siren batteries as in all systems you can remotely disable the sirens tamper circuit enabling the cover to be removed without setting off the alarm.

Oh boy.
this should be fun. A guy who fits diy kit telling this particular professional he doesn't know what he's talking about.

.. and the professional you hold in such high regard has installed exactly how many Yale alarms to give him such intimate knowledge?

What's that you say . . he's an expert because he actually has never used or installed a Yale system is he?
Interesting concept that . . . :rolleyes:

Oh boy.

.. and the professional you hold in such high regard has installed exactly how many Yale alarms to give him such intimate knowledge?

What's that you say . . he's an expert because he actually has never used or installed a Yale system is he?
Oh dear. You talk about experts.
We're all still waiting for your answers to the questions asked of you regarding your criticism of a certain installer and their system.

Your silence says it all.

Oh boy.

Oh dear. You talk about experts.
We're all still waiting for your answers to the questions asked of you regarding your criticism of a certain installer and their system.

Your silence says it all.

Like I owe you any explanation troll :LOL:
You got your answers what are you on about? :rolleyes:

Ok alumni why don't you answer these for me . . .

Whats the default siren length time of a 6200 system?
Whats the default siren length of a 6300/6400 system?
If the siren batteries are replaced what becomes the default state of the 6200 system and 6400 system?
Is it possible to have more than one siren in a 6200 system?
How many external sirens can you have with a 6400 system?
What is the range of the system in an open field test?
What is the difference between setting a 6200 system using a remote keypad as opposed to a keyfob?
When using an linked smoke alarm how can the user tell the system has been activated via the smoke sensor as opposed to an infra red or door contact in a 6200 system or a 6400 system?
What are the options of the mobility sensor in the 6400 system and explain it's use.
How many log items are stored in the 6300/6400 system memory?
How many telephone numbers can be stored in the 6400 system?
How many seperate pin codes can be set in the 6300/6400 system?
What are the default and alternative dip switch settings?
When setting up a 6400 system for the first time what is the most important undocumented first step you must do when the system has been set up as instructed?
I could go on and on and on with these all night..

You usually do.

But still no answer to the questions posted eh?

Your response indicates how little value should be placed on your knowledge - nil.

You usually do.

But still no answer to the questions posted eh?

Your response indicates how little value should be placed on your knowledge - nil.

you really are a top class prize one troll.

Answer my questions dullard :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back