Potterton Suprima 100 - Extremely Noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Purchased new in 1997, Potterton changed heat exchanger in 1999 to cure steam train, rattling which seemed to work. Noises have gradually got worse again until now where its too dangerous to use in my estimation. Any reasons for this, nearly every plumber tells me of the faults with this boiler, do I have any come-back on Potterton/Baxi? They chooses to ignore completely what I say. Have heard it was poorly designed in terms of the heat exchanger, circuit board etc.

Sponsored Links
The circuit board was very poor quality definitely, but otherwise I have always found them ok. What exactly is causing the noise?, may just be the fan which is normal wear and tear.

Heat Exchangers are fine on Suprimas but it tends to be the sludge inside them that doesnt come with the boiler when you purchase it !
But if Heat exchanger does need replacing Potterton would replace this for £275 inc all parts labour and vat which is very reasonable in my opinion :cool:

Sponsored Links
thought the 275 price was for a boiler over 2 years old (heat ex not included)......................might be wrong though

yes you are wrong Jase it is £170-£195 for boiler under 5 years £275-00 for boiler over 5 years thats just breakdown call which includes all parts except H/exch but if you know its h/exch you can say that and its just £275-00 for only H/Ech if any other parts are needed then they will be charged as extra ??? except inhibitor of course :cool:

MOD

excuse me when did this become the baxi potterton advice line

kindly desist ;)

gazthepottertonengineer said:
Heat Exchangers are fine on Suprimas but it tends to be the sludge inside them that doesnt come with the boiler when you purchase it !
But if Heat exchanger does need replacing Potterton would replace this for £275 inc all parts labour and vat which is very reasonable in my opinion :cool:

Welcome back Gas hope you had a loverly holiday ;) ;)

Since your back and talking about my favourite topic, can you explain how and where all this sludge comes from, and why its only a problem with some models.

MOD

kindly desist

To MOD - Kev? There are enough Pottertons about that a bit of general information does no harm and is of interest to a lot of people.:evil:

I hope they don't desist.

ChrisR said:
MOD

kindly desist

To MOD - Kev? There are enough Pottertons about that a bit of general information does no harm and is of interest to a lot of people.:evil:

I hope they don't desist.

I find myself agreeing with you as well Chris, now I need to rest I have a funny feeling coming on.

I enjoy my discussions with gaz and what better than straight from the horses mouth, I really wish other manufacturers would frequent theses pages.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MOD

sorry fellas was poss a bit OTT have been wound up recently

Thanx DOITALL :LOL: i agree with you some models are more succeptible to sludge build up which is generally caused by lack of inhibitor,poorly designed systems pulling air in and lack of flushing in the first place !!

if the system is kept clean and the correct levels of inhibitor put in the system you should have no problems ;)

gazthepottertonengineer said:
Thanx DOITALL :LOL: i agree with you some models are more succeptible to sludge build up which is generally caused by lack of inhibitor,poorly designed systems pulling air in and lack of flushing in the first place !!

if the system is kept clean and the correct levels of inhibitor put in the system you should have no problems ;)

Don't reckon its what there made with then.

Poor design Is a the norm nowaday with the 10 week plumber chucking them in :cry: in fact some that I've seen perhaps we should ditch the word Design :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back