Approx cost to wire a garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks ..

Following on from my previous post I figure I know little enough about current legislation to wire in my garage , so...

What would be a 'rough' cost for an electrician to wire in, here are the options as I see it although of course these may not meet requirements so maybe not real options:

1) Run the feed from my current consumer unit - There is one spare feedway but to feed to outside is VERY tight almost impossible I think. It is not a RCD protected consumer unit only MCBs

2) Extend the ring from my back room (there is a double socket on the outside (inside) wall. This would involve running 2 meters externally then up and over to the garage (1 meter from house) with RCD sockets in the garage (2 doubles will be plenty) and then a fused spur to feed light circuit? Or does the garage have to be on its own circuit only?

Load will be only the odd power tool, lawnmower once a week(ish) - possible a wleder once in a blue moon but nothing constantly plugged in or heavy loading

It's not really feasible to bury the cable as like said only 1 meter between house and garage

So any idea about a cost, obviously I know its difficult to gauge given the current information but just a ball park figure so I can start saving!!

Oh and as the cable in the garage will be visible? would it be acceptable to the sparky for me to route the garage cable and locate the socket back boxes and lighting cable to save a few ££s?

Sponsored Links
You cant ask us what may be acceptable to another sparky, you need to get one on side before you start and will ultimatly have to do the job in the way that they say as they are going to be signing the work of and issuing a document stating that they designed, installed, inspected and tested the installation.

It shouldn't cost you anything to get three quotations from electricians for what you have planned - that is your best bet.

It is impossible to give you an estimate without looking at the site - price could be from £300 to £1000 depending on the environment and whether the electrician is a member of a competent persons scheme. Nottingham Council currently charge around £250 for building control notice prior to starting and around £400 if you have already started.

From your previous post it does sound as if you are asking 'is this the right way to do it' rather than what is the price.

It shouldn't cost you anything to get three quotations from electricians for what you have planned - that is your best bet.

From your previous post it does sound as if you are asking 'is this the right way to do it' rather than what is the price.

Nope I was just trying to give the options as I see it so that someone might be able to give me some idea of a price ... I figured it would be better than putting I have a house and a garage how much to wire the garage up!!!
The old garage circuit is still available to connect up but it was very old and I disconneted when I moved into my house because the sockets were damp and the wiring poorly laid. It would be no biggy to connect this back up if I wanted to 'do it myself' but it was OLD T&E running outside and I've already learned enough to know this would not be acceptable or indeed safe.

Cheers anyway ... seems alot of money for the use it will get!!!!

Sponsored Links
Unless you get quotes you will never know. Perhaps, if you want an idea of price you should look at how long the job will take and the cost of all the materials too.

You are going to need RCD protection for the new circuit
Have you got properly installed main equipoteential bonding?
Connecting old cables without testing them before hand is very dodgy.

Quotes are free, get some quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back