When fitting a softener why leave one tap hard?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
hard water is allegedly better to drink to prevent heart problems. I personally don't like washing in soft water as it feels too slimy.

So very young children and people who cant take too much sodium in their diets should not drink softened water.Apparently it can kill babys as their bodys cannot deal with the added sodium.
Kitchen cold tap should be left unsoftened if there is no drinking fountain or specific tap near by.
I've read of people leaving the garden tap unsoftened to get around this , surely you wouldn't have your baby drinking from the garden tap?

And if the house ever changed hands would this not be potentially fatal for the next owners children?

babies WHO DRINK FORMULA MILK MADE UP WITH TAPWATER are not supposed to drink it made up with softened water as it contains a tiny amount of sodium bicarbonate ( AKA bicarbonate of soda as used in indigestion remedies, baking powder, cakes and biscuits etc) which adds to the sodium in the diet.

It has no effect on BF babies

It should also not be drunk by people who are on a reduced sodium diet, such as some kidney disorders.

Anyone, including toddlers and small children, who eats cornflakes, bread, tomato ketchup, marmite etc gets plenty of sodium from that as they are all packed with salt, so the small amount of bicarbonate of soda which softened water contains is not relevant.

Thanks fella, so its good practice then to leave the kitchen tap unsoftened if there isnt a drinking tap close by. I have a 12 month old daughter myself and thankfully I have no softener fitted.

The reason I ask is a client has two kids , one is 1yr old the other two and a half. She wants a softener fitted. She is complaining about limescale and has a salt softener that she wants fitted. Also the hard water may be agitating her 2 year olds eczema.

Almost all the points have been covered, but there are additional reasons to leave an outside tap unsoftened. Softened water isn't good for most plants, although hard water isn't ideal either, and there is certainly no benefit in running through a month's supply of softening salt by putting the sprinkler on your lawn a couple of times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back