Virgin media TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having to 'go digital' soon. I have a choice, of either a satellite dish and box set-up, or Virgin media, as their cables run past my house. I have no experience of either system, but I do realise the dish set-up would be my own, with no ongoing rental. I do not watch that much TV, so would not want movie and sport channels. As I do not know anyone with it, I am now trying to find out, whether there are any significant advantages and/or disadvantages to the Virgin system. Any advice would be much appreciated, based on others experience.

Sponsored Links
Compare the cost of phone/broad band & TV, I went virgin about 2 years ago.
If virgin box goes wrong they give you a new one, Sky you pay for it.
As far as programes, I have V+ I with the basic package, like the pause rewind catch etc also the BBC i Player & ITV players.
Customer service is good once you get through to India (but its free), There is also a Forum, where you can book appointments & get issues sorted.
Also you dont have to have an ugly dish, all my cables are under the floor boards, even the internal distribution.
Im satisfied.

The first thing you need to decide is what channels you want and find out what services they are available on.

You seem to have already ruled out freeview (digital terrestrial) Is there any particular reason for that? Unless there are unusual circumstances then it's both the cheapest system and offers the best choice of UK channels of all the non-subscription options.

There are two main subscription-free sattelite systems in the UK (there are also foreign sattelite systems that can be used in the UK). Freesat and "freesat from sky" (yes the names are confusing), freesat from sky gets more channels but there aren't any decent recording options for it. Both freesat and "freesat from sky" use the same group of satellites so you can combine them (and sky boxes with a subscroption) on the same dish.

Be aware that sattelite is a lot more expensive to install for than freeview, the boxes are more expensive and each tuner (most recorder boxes have two tuners) needs a seperate feed. Up to 8 feeds (doesn't go all that far if you have a big house and a number of recorder boxes) you can use a LNB with multiple outputs. Beyond that you get into multiswitches.

If you go subscription then your choices are basically virgin or sky the biggest difference between them is how they structure their packages.

Virgin generally work in tiers (plus a few premium add-ons), higher tiers get more channels but generally only the highest tier gets all the channels from a particular category. So for example on the package I used to be on with VM (I still have VM but i've downgraded the TV service and now use sky for TV, I plan to drop VM completely eventually but i'm leaving that until I either move house or decide I won't be moving in the forseeable future) I got discovery but not history and national geographic seemed to come and go from the package.

Sky on the other hand work in terms of themed "packs" which is better if you have particular types of channel you like and want all the channels of that type.

Virgin also throw in a basic TV package with theirphone that afaict is basically equivilant to freeview in channel selection. I'd only get it if you've already decided that their broadband and phone packages are a good deal for you though.

IIRC both sky and virgin charge extra for extra boxes on your subscription.

Whichever you go for the cheapest was is to normally get all your services from them.
So who do you use for internet and telephone?
With virgin you pay about £33/pm for the basic package which is the telephone, tv and internet.

I have had Sky for the last few years but have just switched back to Virgin. Sky is good and their HD box used to be the best and nicest to use however by owning the box it means you are liable for any repairs and the early HD box I had was not very reliable.
I have just got the new Virgin Tivo box which is excellent and even better to use than Sky. Virgin are releasing the smaller 500GB Tivo box tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
I have Virgin broadband and phone, and they throw in the TV free, so it is quite a good deal. I believe they also throw in a free wireless router which is handy for any laptoys or smart phones you have in the house.

look out for special offers and incentives.

I recommend you dig your own trench for the cable to your house as their fitters don't spend much time laying it, they just throw the flexy duct over your garden and silicone the cable to your wall if you let them.

I managed to get mine laid under the paving and come up through the garage floor inside the house because their salesman committed to it, but the fitters claim not to have a spade or know how to lift paving, after several aborted calls and complaints, the local PM got some guys who were laying ducts in the street to dig it up for me.

would have been quicker and less trouble to dig a trench and lay some duct myself.

even better get freeview box unless you have freeview built in to your current tv, .

bonus is for you who do not watch much tv it is FREE.

Thank-you all for advice. I decided to buy freeview box soon, maybe one with recorder, then at digital switchover, instal new aerial if poor reception. My next post on here will probably be what make of box to buy...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back