Accenta Gen4 walk test problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wonder if someone can advise on a problem I am having. I have an Accenta Gen4 mini with LCD control pad and a AG6 bell box. All my zones are working on magnetic contacts, no PIRs yet.
Front door = Zone 1 (1 door)
Back doors = zone 2 (2 doors)
Down internals - zone 3 (3 doors)
Up internals - zone 4 (3 doors)

When setting up, every time I do a walk test, the numbers for each zone instead of starting at zero, start a 1 and therefore cant be tested.

So as a trouble shooting exercise I removed all zones except zone 1 which I shorted out using a staple. All tamps are shorted also. This to my knowledge eliminates and field wiring issues. When I do a walk test now, zone 1 (all other zones also set to unused) is still immediatley showing up as a 1. I cant think of anything else to try, I also did a reset as per instructions and still no joy. Any ideas?? Everything else works OK i.e. the external sounder, strobe and LCD keypad. All fuses tested OK.
Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
a 1?
A 1 ?

Nope, does not compute, do a restore and see what happens with bell removed and ALL tampers closed.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. the "a 1" means that as each zone is tested, the zone which should be first represented by a zero on the LCD display is starting as a digit 1. It should only turn to a 1 when its been opened and closed.

I removed the LCD keypad, the external sounder and did a reset, still the same result............ :(

Any more ideas?? I'm beggining to think I have a duff panel.

Cheers
Paul

Have you actually enabled the zones in engineers.

Programmes 1,2 or 3. zone needs a tick by the programme it is to be in.

I think you assume the panel "sees" everything. It needs to be told.
Have you the manual?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Yes, all zones except zone 1 set to X.. Only zone 1 active and the wiring for this zone is shorted. I think I've read the manual cover to cover. I've set it up exactly as described in the first power up. But also tried with nothing extra connected, in which case I cant really see what could be wrong. All factory set shorts are still in place. I'm a compentant individual, really I am!
Cheers
Paul

WALK TEST Accenta Gen4 with LCD Keypad

Press [up arrow] for menu Walk Test.

Press [SET] or [0]. Zones 1-8 have a zero (0) below each number.

• When a zone is successfully tested, number 1 replaces the 0. Zones are added to list as each one is activated.

• Press [RESET] to leave the menu or [SET] to restart the Walk Test.

set to X ?

why shorted, it needs to be able to go open.

Walk test with LCD press P then code then tick for walk test.
0 to exit.

Sorry, X = No.

All walk tests were starting of at 1 instead of zero, so after some research, the way of eliminating any wiring issues is to short out the circuit, thus on walk test the test should give a 0 to start with, but of course it will stay at zero as it cant be opened. It should go to 1 when opened, but it goes to 1 immediately and as this is when its shorted it indicates some odd behaviour?? Or have I misunderstood?

Kind regards
Paul

so when "shorted" and you walk test is the panel cover open?
Your either doing something really wrong or its a duff panel.

[quote="Alarm";p="1989434"
Your ...... doing something really wrong[/quote]

I suggest the above.

Hi,
Thanks for all replies so far. Sadly no progress as yet. In answer to the Q about the cover being open, technically yes it is, however, my finger is pushed firmly on the spring and the tamper part of the walk test remains at 0 (zero) so this bit works. I've done another reset having removed the external sounder. Still no joy. This time after the reset, I went straight into the walk test, I left all zones as default (all used etc). All jumpers are default, i.e. jumper across the PA, all TAMP (2 of), SCB (4 jumpers in total). The only things attached are the LCD display, the internal sounder and a wire in each of the zone 1 outputs. WHen I start the walk test with the circuit OPEN, the walk test shows a 1, when I start the walk test with zone 1 closed CLOSED, the walk test starts at 0 but immediately goes to 1 without me doing anything. Opening and closing the circuit during the walk test does not affect the number in any way.
Should I just get a new panel? Its £35 plus P&P so its not the end of the world.
Kind regards
Paul

Get a meter, remove zone one ( one pair or wires yes?).
With the door closed meter the cable set to ohms and see what it says.

You did wire the contacts correctly?

Hi,
The resistance of a circuit (black and red connected to opposing ends of the reed) at the alarm panel when closed (obviously) is about 3ohms when measured with my calibrated fluke 1653, when I open the door, the contacts open and resistance is infinity. The blue and yellow are wired to the tamp and there is no circuit between either the red or black to the tamp circuit. But this is why i omitted the actual circuit in favour of shorting out the actual circuit as this cant have any errors yet still returns a '1' when doing the walk test when open (removed) or closed (shorted). I've just ordered a new one, the one I have is still under warranty. If the new one works then this one is bust. If it gives same result, then i'll swinging from the rafters..........The reason I'm fitting it is that some scroat broke into my shed last week and nicked my bike and a drill so I have a feeling he'll be back for the 2 infinitly better bikes he saw in my living room. B@st@rds.
Thanks
Paul

Oh my god, just received new panel and I get EXACTLY the same problem, so I'm wondering if i am following the correct process. The manual is a little ambiguous for first power up.......

Should the mains be connected (does it make any difference?)? The diagram for first power up doesnt display the mains being connected but I dont see why it would make a scrap of difference.

Item 3 . On connecting the battery, the system will go into an alarm condition with an audible alarm indication. After entry of a valid code, there is a tamper indication - done this, results are as expected.
Item 4 - Fit the cover to hold down the tamper spring at the bottom of the board - I am holding down the tamper screw instead, and its definately making contact as the walk test actually works for this circuit. There are no other switches so the panel will not know i am doing this. I am holding this down throughout all the tests without releasing it. I cant see screwing the panel in will make a jot of difference. trust me, I'm keeping it pressed, do doubts there
Item 5 - Enter the user code, press 0123 factory set code. the alarm condition will cease - what alarm condition, it was ceased at item 3???
NOTE The LCD keypad will show SYSTEM UNSET for 30 seconds first (before showing the date)
Item 6 - Immediately enter the engineer code by pressing P 9999 - Immediately? Immediately after it changes after 30 seconds?
Item 7 - The system is now in enginer mode and can be programmed. Yes it is, this is as expected.

I've done every permutation of the above with respect to holding down the tamp before first entering the code, pressing P9999 before the 30 seconds and after the 30 seconds but the results are the same so I suspect the fact that these instructions dont flow too well, it doesnt actually make any difference as all you are doing is turning off the alarm condition, making the panel secure, then entering walk test.

Now, the same thing happens. If I leave the circuits OPEN, then they go to 1 straight away, I guess this isnt a surprise? they should go to one when tested i.e. the circuit is opened. Now, to start with I am just wiring up the entrance door as only one reed switch is attached, its a short run with a resistance of 1.8ohms. When performing the walk test, the result starts off at a zero for an instant before going to a 1, i.e without me opening the circuit. Again to validate my circuit and to verify its not shorting with the tamps etc i have shorted out the circuit so that it cannot open and thus must remain at 0 at all times, it flashes at 0 before instantly changing to 1.

how on earth can I be getting this so wrong.................

Please please help.

Thanks for listening
Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back