Bathroom Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am about to start on my Bathroom and toilet. I have a plumber lined up and someone to skim the walls.

I need to "manage" the work and will be stripping the current tiles and wallpaper as well as tiling and laying a wood flooring.

My questions are what order and how:

We want to keep the sink and toilet as they are in good nick (Twyfords) just going to replace the furniture. The toilet does not need to be moved but the cistern may need removing to paint behind?

Should I tile before re-fitting the sink and bath?
Should the floor get laid first or last?

The steps as i think:

1. Strip tiles.
2. Remove sink, bath and cistern.
3. Clean walls of tile adhesive etc.
4. Lay new supply and waste pipe work.
5. Route electrics.
6. Repair and Skim walls.
7. Bond new plaster with PVA / Water??
8. Fit floor (only going in bathroom).
9. Paint and tile.
10. Refit sink, bath and cistern.
11. Tidy up!!

Any pointers on the above?

Sponsored Links
Pretty good but don't seal any areas of the new plaster that you are going to paint with PVA. Seal with a mist coat of diluted paint. I think PVA is ok for the tiled areas but double check the sticky in the tiling forum to be sure.

If you leave the toilet and sink in place when stripping tiles protect them well as they can be easily damaged by bits of flying tile.

It is usually best to fit the bath and let the tiles sit on the top edge to avoid any water seeping down the side/s. You can tile the walls where the toilet and sink go first though.

Also, it might be better to fit the floor after tiling and painting to avoid damage.

:D

Thanks for the reply.
I forgot to mention that the Toilet is in a separate room.

Was going to cover the sink with carpet before removing the tiles, but in the toilet its just wall paper to remove, but will cover anyway.

Ref The Floor
The toilet will be carpet. So the floor is going where the bath and sink are, happy to floor under the bath then fit the side panels if poss but cutting around the pedastal that the sink fits on may be a mare!!

Sponsored Links
I think PVA is ok for the tiled areas but double check the sticky in the tiling forum to be sure.
No it’s most definitely not; never use standard PVA as a tile primer & never prime unless your chosen adhesive manufacturer recommends it. Plaster is not the best base for tiling either, what type, size weight of tiles are you thinking of hanging? & don’t paint plaster before tiling but I don’t think that’s what you meant.

Read tiling sticky & forum archive posts for more info & to avoid making potentially disastrous & expensive mistakes.

All electrical work in a bathroom must be carried out by a part P registered electrician, tested & certified compliant.

All electrical work in a bathroom must be carried out by a part P registered electrician, tested & certified compliant.

Richard, that is not 100% true, the home owner can do some electrical work himself, but I would ask about it on the electricians forum first.

;)

Richard, that is not 100% true, the home owner can do some electrical work himself, but I would ask about it on the electricians forum first.
;)
Yes I should have pointed out that you can do some work without notification;
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law
but not in a bathroom (which is a special location) where new cabling or circuits are involved. You can DIY the work but you must include the electrics in a Building Notice submission before you start work & LABC will inspect before it’s all covered up. They are then supposed to send an electrician to test & certify but many authorities don’t want to know, lumping it on the householder. For minor works, this route will cost you far more in terms of cash & hassle than calling in a qualified Part P spark in the first place.

Having done three bathroom projects (and none giving any problems seven years down the line) I agree that it's difficult to know how to order the work. My few pointers would be:

Remove ALL sanitaryware before you do anything; it would be a shame to have a falling tile damage something in the heat of the removal operation.

Once the tiles are off you will be left with a terrible mess and you will realise that tile adhesive is a pain to remove. Better to chip off any bad peaks then get the plasterer to skim the lot in areas where it matters.

Tiles are a cheaper solution, agreed, but difficult to seal around the bath and shower and the grout will go mildewey over time. The modern way to do a bathroom IMO is to use shower boards, more costly but quicker, easier and they come with an excellent sealing system.

Why are you having carpet in the WC? It will get dripped on and splashed and will get smelly. Vinyl is easier to clean. Alternatively make it the rule that all male users sit down to do a tinkle.

Have a look at my bathroom project here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=192330

Are you sure you want timber floor in a bathroom, asking for trouble, IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back