Conversion of a flat roof to a terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at buying a flat which is on the 1st/2nd and 3rd floors of a victorian building. The kitchen (on the first floor) has a window overlooking the flat roof of a 1st storey extension of the flat below. There is an identical extension in the adjoining terraced house and the roof has been made into a terrace. As a result i suspect there would be no problem getting planning permission to convert it however i would imagine it would need to be strengthened. My question is if there's any way of strengthening the roof without messing with the ceiling/room below? This is obviously owned by the neighbours (who own part of the freehold) and I can't imagine they are going to let me mess up their room just so we can get a roof terrace. Is there anyway of strengthening it from the top or do you have to take the ceiling down and replace the joists?

Thanks so much for your help,

Dave

Sponsored Links
I would think the chance of getting permission from the ground floor occupants somewhat unlikely don't you think? A flat roof is not designed like a terrace at all, the joists will very likely need upgrading just to make it a compliant floor, the strengthening required to take a handrail even more grief.

Chances of having the work carried out without without taking the ceiling down and them losing use of the room for a week or so: about 1%!

So the ground level occupants would be happy having their roof used as your garden? Seriously get a grip. Unless you own the whole building and they have no choice?
Or, maybe they should put stairs up to it and do it themselves, then they could put a door into your kitchen and use it when having a BBQ or entertaining outside?!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back