Peugeot 307 not starting ignition fuse keeps blowing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Peugeot 307 2006, 78000km

I am on the scrounge for any helpful tips/advice if you would be so kind.

the 20amp fuse called contactor of anti-theft (F8 fuse) blew, car wouldn't start, changed fuse worked again. Just went out for petrol this afternoon and again the car wouldn't start fuse blown again, changed fuse started again.

Fuse only seems to last 6 days then it blows any ideas as to what the problem is and whether I can fix it. Or will I have to spend a fortune and take it to the garage.
The starter wont crank the engine when the fuse blows out. you just heard a tick sound like when the starter is totally dead.
i noticed that when the fuse blows, and i change the fuse it blows again, but i had to change the fuse and wait til the car cools down to start again. As long as the car is working , no problems even if i unplug the fuse.
i also read that the fuse called the contactor or cut-out of the contact circuit related to anti-theft system.
where is the location of the contactor in this car?

Sponsored Links
The contactor they refer to is a relay. I would think its the relay you hear clicking when it wont start.

You have the copper part of a wire or component making contact with the body of the car when it heats up. This is known as a short circuit. The fault is after the fuse thats why it blows to protect the car from the risk of fire. So as long as you replace it with the correct size fuse you cant do any harm looking for the fault.

Try shaking the wiring loom to see if the problem disappears to localize the fault into an area. Probably under the bonnet when its heat dependent.

Sorry I cant be more specific. I'll have a look to see if there is a wiring diagram available. It will show the components that are connected after the fuse.

That seems a very simple fault compared with the ECU and that body control box fault.

Contactor solenoid coils can also have intermittent shorted turns! particularly when hot !

Tony

Sponsored Links
What is the status of this problem now?

I am having exactly the same trouble: if the motor is warm, I cannot start the engine because the starter fuse F8 burns. Or what happened to me a couple of times yesterday is that the fuse is not damaged when I turn the key, but I cannot hear the starter either although the relay is clicking. First after the motor cooled down I could start the engine.

I took the car to Peugeot workshop and the result of their troubleshooting is that I need to change the starter, because it draws too high current. I feel though a bit uneasy about their solution, not only due to cost but also because it doesn't really explain where the temperature dependency comes from (semiconductors? isolation fault healing after cooling down? bimetalic effect on some of the wires inside?).

My peugeot is having a similar problem, car will not tick over and it keeps blowing engine fuse number 1 any ideas what could be causing this?

any help would be appreciated!

In my case, I changed the starter and the problem is now solved.

If the starter solonoid is drawing to much current and is fed by this fuse it could be the problem but if so the fuse will only go when you are trying to start the engine.

Peter

the fuse does go exaclty as you say on start of the engine,

i tried jump starting the car but car this did not work, do you know if the solenoid/starter would affect the engine when jump starting?

Yes, the solonoid is used to engage the starter however its powered.

Peter

the fuse does go exaclty as you say on start of the engine,

i tried jump starting the car but car this did not work, do you know if the solenoid/starter would affect the engine when jump starting?

Hi, I have the exact same problem with my 307 2005 model. Did you get the problem rectified. Thanks

Hi have a 307 estate 06 plate bought it 3 months ago. suddenly 4 weeks ago the 20A fuse blew. replaced it after the local garage investigated and found it has blown (£80) and 4 weeks later it blew again. replaced and it start ok - but on a trip the next day I stopped at lights and turned the engine off ... it then wouldn't start and the fuse had blown again ... tried another and it blew. Called breakdown man and he got it working: After he arrived he said in his experience the problem relates to the motion sensor triggering the immobiliser and you then can't start the engine. This is done by locking/unlocking the doors in quick succession. First he replaced the fuse with a 25A and the engine wouldn't turn. Then he reset the immobiliser by locking and unlocking the car with the remote and then the car started! maybe a 25A also helped?

Usually not recommended to put a bigger fuse in than listed by the manufacturer. As its the only protection the circuit has against short circuit.

Apparently the blowing of this fuse is a known issue and Peugeot have suggested changing the fuse to a 25Amp one to try to solve the problem.

I think you will find F8 feeds the starter solenoid which can take fairly large current for a brief time. This current is probably different when cold than hot plus when hot the dirt and gunge build up could also make operation of the solenoid harder so it would draw more current.

Depending upon skill level the cure would be to be to dismantle, clean and lubricate the solenoid itself or fit a replacement starter motor complete.

Sponsored Links
Back