Corner of garden getting waterlogged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A corner of my garden puddles heavily after it has rained, the garden has a wall built all the way around and the lawn falls into this corner.

Obviously it is being held there by the wall and the natural fall of the lawn.

I'm guessing I should dig a deep hole in the corner and bury a plastic soakaway, is this the best and cheapest thing to do?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
i'm no expert, but i wouldn't have thought you'd need a particularly big soakaway.

Depending what you had in your shed, i would do something like hammer a timber cricket stump into the ground as close to the corner as you can get avoiding footings. Fetch the stump out, then hammer a slightly bigger diameter bit of timber, say 18" into the ground, wiggling it about as you go.

And then finally, push in a length of 32mm plastic waste, cutting off just beneath ground level. And fill this with small pebbles or gravel.

You could do a couple of these?

Wall should have been built with drainage in mind. Could alway dig close to wall and put a 45mm hole thru and a bit of waste pipe to aid drainage.

i'm no expert, but i wouldn't have thought you'd need a particularly big soakaway.

Depending what you had in your shed, i would do something like hammer a timber cricket stump into the ground as close to the corner as you can get avoiding footings. Fetch the stump out, then hammer a slightly bigger diameter bit of timber, say 18" into the ground, wiggling it about as you go.

And then finally, push in a length of 32mm plastic waste, cutting off just beneath ground level. And fill this with small pebbles or gravel.

I am not quite sure what that will do, other than compact the soil even more?

Sponsored Links

I am not quite sure what that will do, other than compact the soil even more?

well the theory is that the holes push through the clay, and into a different subsoil... therfore allowing the water to flow through. I've done a similar thing in my garden and it works fine.

Fair enough, but clay generally tends to be several feet / yards deep, not inches.

If the land beyond the wall is not yours you can't drain onto it so you have to channel the water somewhere else or contain the water and allow it time to soak away. You could dig a trench and backfill it with gravel. Beware of digging big holes next to wall foundations.

If you have heavy clay soil, a soakaway in clay is just a pond. A bore hole might be a better idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back