Garage conversion, boiler on external wall help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of getting quotes about a garage conversion and have got SIX quotes (excessive I know, long story).

Anyway, the last builder that came has said that I will need to have a new boiler at a cost of an extra 3k!

Here are the details...

The garage is single skinned and the boiler is fixed to the outside wall.
The garage will need to be studded and insulated. Fair enough.
But, he says the boiler will need to be brought forward to be on the new studded wall and because of this, building regs state that we HAVE to replace the boiler with a combi. Our boiler is only about 14 years old and in perfect working order.
Money aside I don't like the idea of replacing a perfectly good boiler just by moving it 3-4 inches off of a wall!

Anyone know if I would be able to stud the garage but instead of studding behind the behind the boiler, put an insulated partition wall with a full internal door (with any required insulation) around the boiler, effectively insulating the garage but not moving the boiler (or overheating it by studding around it closely)? I would leave a gap either side of the boiler of about a foot and there would be loads of room (i.e. a full door) for maintenance. This would also hide the boiler, which is what I would do even if the boiler had to be replaced. Effectively, the boiler would have its own little room.

None of the other builders have mentioned this. They only seemed concerned if we planned to move the boiler.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a load of tosh to me, the neater solution is to move the boiler a little, it shouldn't take an experienced gas safe person much work providing you can live without your boiler for a day or two while it's removed, walling sorted out, then put back again. Your the boss unless it's dangerous or against building regulations it's your choice.

Sponsored Links
Read that link, how vague can building regs actually be!!! :cry:

If the boiler is moved
. Does that mean to another location or does moving it 3inches of the wall constitute a move?

I can see this being totally dependent on the mood of the building regs inspector on the day that they veiw the work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back