Replacing bathroom 12v downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am constructing a new upstairs bathroom right above an old bathroom on the ground floor. Soon i shall want to tile the new floor. There is a transformer under the floorboards for the three 12v downlights below, and i am concerned that if it failed in the future it would be a hell of a job to replace.

So i thought the easiest thing would be simply to replace the current downstairs low voltage lights with 240v ones and wire them in a chain to the mains cable that presently connects to the transformer.

Do i need to comply with new regs in making these changes or can i just do what i have outlined above? And even if it is 'legally OK' are these proposals a safe solution? Any constructive comments or suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
replace the current downstairs low voltage lights with 240v ones
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage-bands

Do i need to comply with new regs in making these changes
Yes.

or can i just do what i have outlined above?
As long as you do it safely.

And even if it is 'legally OK' are these proposals a safe solution?
As long as you do it safely.

Now might be a good time though to ditch the downlights and install something designed to light up rooms.

The transformer must be accessible.

If you must keep the downlights, then maybe it would be easier to re-organise the downstairs wiring so the transformer is accessible through one of the downlight holes.

Do check out BAS's links. Some positions in bathrooms rule out the use of mains voltage lighting.

As an aside. I trust you have notified your loacal authority of your intention to carry out electrical works in the new upstairs bathroom?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the helpful tips and links. I liked the idea of accessing the transformer through the downlight hole as this would have meant very little time and no expense. Unfortunately, when i had a look, the transformer is far too bulky to pass through the hole, so i think i'd best stick with plan A.

As i understand it, as none of the lights is above the bath/shower and the ceiling is over 225cm high, i need only fit zone 3 lights with (fire rating optional) so it won't break the bank. It's a pretty tiny room so the light should be adequate - and yes, the new circuits upstairs have been passed by the LA.

Thanks for the helpful tips and links. I liked the idea of accessing the transformer through the downlight hole as this would have meant very little time and no expense. Unfortunately, when i had a look, the transformer is far too bulky to pass through the hole,.

£15 buys you a tranny that WILL go through the hole.
for example

You'll get NO light out of those.

IP65 fittings have the lamp set well back in the housing so they are even more hopeless at space lighting than regular downlights.

You should invest in some head torches so you can see what you are "doing".

Ugg - those lights look well cheap... see how skinny the 'arms' to hold them in the ceiling are? bet they snap off if you ever need to get the fitting down from the ceiling....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back