Disable bell box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again,

I am going to replace my bell box with a Risco novaguard merit
4 ga and cannot gain access to my old one what i would like to disable - would need to hire a cherry picker, Too expensive. The box i want to
Disable is a elmdene prima. How can i disable it without gaining access or how long would it go off for on its battery backup before it eventually dies
Out. The prima bell box has been up for 9 years

Thanks nathan

Sponsored Links
hi what prima bell box is it ? 100/200/300/500 or 030 the 100/200 dont have cut off timers the 300/500 and 030 do (15/20) mins best thing to try is disconnect 12v supply ( 1 single wire and see if it rings then take out 0v wire and see if it rings if it does leave it for 20mins to see if it stops if so job done if not your out of luck ladder job.

Thanks for the reply , how do tell what prima it is, and if it does not have a cut off how long do you recon the battery will last thanks
Nathan

Sponsored Links
Thanks also Alarm how long do you recon the bellnwill ring if it does not have a cut off roughly

Depends on the battery, could have mains back up for all I know.

I dont mind giving advice, but how to defeat or tell how long sounders may or may not run is not one of them.

I only ask , due to the fact if the neighbors came out and asked what i was doing i could tell them it would only go for 20 mins , rather than let it ring and not die it out to replace with new one

Free country to ask.
Others might give this info out, afraid i`m not one of them.
Nothing personal.

If the bell box has been up for nine years it may not even ring at all if its internal rechargeable has died.

Why are you wanting to disable it?

Can you not add your new siren to the system without removing your old ine anyway?

Nathan, I doubt they would have used a cherry picker to install a bell box?

Well, just for information.

Cherry pickers have been and are used to fit external sounders, if the situation requires.

Done it many times.

Edit >

Don't forget the number of sounders that get fitted by using the available scaffolding when the house is being built.

Silly Cos. silly places with NO THOUGHT about servicing or problems.

30ft, crazy!

Well, just for information.

Cherry pickers have been and are used to fit external sounders, if the situation requires.

Done it many times.

Yes of course they have, but in a residential situation they are seldom required. Hence I posted a question - NOT A STATEMENT. I was endeavouring to gauge why only a cherry picker was mentioned. The OP has not indicated the height / position of the bell box.

Potentially a ladder or small scaffold may be suitable. The OP may have a fear of heights etc, in which case it may work out cheaper to get a local tradesman in rather than hire a cherry picker (which in the wrong hands can be a lethal piece of kit).

It would be wrong to jump to conclusions, which all too often happens.

Just disconnect it in the morning. All sounders made in the last ten years have cut-offs - usually about 15 to 18 mins.

Depends on the battery, could have mains back up for all I know.

I dont mind giving advice, but how to defeat or tell how long sounders may or may not run is not one of them.

Don't bother answering then. :rolleyes:

As an after thought.

Cherry pickers are also quite often used when an extension of some sort is built underneath the at first quite easily accessible sounder, by a dopey owner with the help of his equally dopey builder.

Then moans about the cost of correcting this c*** up when a problem materialises in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back