Can I run my ensuite waste into the existing soil stack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying a new house which currently only has 1 bathroom and a massively oversized bedroom so i would like to add an ensuite. Both the bathroom and bedroom are on the top floor of a large victorian house and one of the other flats owns/uses the ground floor and gardens. As a result adding a brand new soil pipe down the back and digging it into the drains would most likely be a bit of a nightmare. Is it legal/allowed within the regs to run the new soil pipe (for the toilet/shower/sink in the new ensuite) out the back wall and then join it into the existing soil pipe (that currently services just the main bathroom) as this would make it all much easier?

The only reason i ask was when i added an ensuite to a house a good few years ago i'm sure we had an issue with this and were told to use a totally separate soil stack (but that may have been because it was cast iron).

Thanks so much for your help everyone,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Hi adlplumbing, thanks so much for the super speedy response! So there are no building regs preventing me from using one soil stack for two toilets?

Thanks so much,

Dave

So there are no building regs preventing me from using one soil stack for two toilets?
No problem with that. If you imagine a block of flats, one stack can serve several toilets.

Sponsored Links
Main things to consider are maximum lengths set out in Building regs part H. (6 metres for 100mm soil pipe)

and fall/slope. (a minimum of 18mm per metre)

If you stick within these you are much less likely to have any future hassle with blockages etc etc.

Alex

OP; need more info regarding location/distance etc & what you’re proposing is notifyable so your going to have to submit a Building Notice (fee required) so its important you get it right. I don’t know who told you about needing a separate stack because the original was cast iron but you were fed a line, it’s total crap; pun intended :LOL: There must have been some other reason.

well sat looking at building regs part h, I was slightly out on the slope (by 9 mm) but it clearly states 6 metres as max branch length.

Perhaps rather than pick at my advice you could offer the op some of your own.

If anyone would like a pdf copy of building regulations part h you can post your email and I will send it to you.

Alex

Hang on a minute. The OP asked if one stack can take more than one toilet to which the answer is yes. Don't go complicating things and making up your own questions. A building notice/permission will be required when all the technical issues will be ironed out.

Nobody is making up questions, its just general advice on the topic of waste branches, yes more than one wc can go into a stack, and yes if it is a room that has never had a wc installed before you do need building regulations approval.
Pretty sure it mostly covers the strength and stability of the floor plus ventilation/extraction and the drainage regs.

But its also important to remember falls and max lengths when positioning a wc/ensuite room otherwise you will end up with future problems.

Funny how this site is for passing knowledge and advice to those that need it but most people use it to nitpick amongst each other, it's not an 'I'm better than you contest'

Also pretty important to state that building regs approval and planning permission are two completely different things and the best website to find out which one you need is http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/kitchensbathrooms/

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back