is "wonder wheels" any good ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys - ive got some nice alloys on my car, however the front alloys have little black deposits that are hard, and difficult to remove, no matter how much i wash them and clean them.. i understand that it is brake dust that has gone hard and cannot remove them...i was reading about "wonder wheels"..will this remove those black deposits ?..ta

Sponsored Links
yes, very good.

A tip a car valeter gave me (works with cheap wheel cleaners too) apply them with a stiff nylon brush, brush in, sparay on more, brush in, spray more. NEVER LET IT DRY just keep spraying more on.

You will have to roll the car along so the top of the wheel is now at the bottom, as there will be downward-facing surfaces you can't reach.

When you get bored with spraying and brushing, hose off while brushing. Remove all traces of the cleaner as (1) it is acidic and may damage the alloy (2) if it dries the grime will stick.

Do not try to clean again until all the water has completely dried. The wheel cleaner will not work if they are wet with water.

If the wheel is generally dirty and dusty, give it a clean with just car shampoo and water and a brush, instead of wasting expensive alloy wheel cleaner on it. You can use wheel cleaner in a separate go when it is completely dry.

it is good stuff, it will struggle to shift deposits that have gone hard though.
A tar remover is good for these.

OK..cheers guys, seems like a difference of opinions...i have tried tar remover, as i have some in the shed, although it removed tar marks from the car body, it wouldnt shift the black deposits on the alloys...

Sponsored Links
I have used paraffin to remove chain grease from alloy motorbike wheels, it gets a lot of dirt off. But baked-on disk-brake dust that is not mixed with mud or grease is best attacked with an alloy-wheel cleaner. Wonder wheels is the most powerful I have used but unless you have neglected it the ordinary sprays will do the job, especially if you have several goes using the spray/brush/roll/spray routine.

For some reason I've always believed that it was best to wash the wheels cold. I washed the motor at the weekend and through various circumstances had to wash the car having just arrived home from a fair journey, consequently washed the hot wheels with my trusty Wonder Wheels and blow me if it didn't work a hellova lot better than normal when they're cold. Best wheel clean ever!

Try toilet disinfectant,note not bleach the goldy colour cheap as chips disinfectant with good quality scrubbing brush

You will be amazed at the results :)

For some reason I've always believed that it was best to wash the wheels cold. I washed the motor at the weekend and through various circumstances had to wash the car having just arrived home from a fair journey, consequently washed the hot wheels with my trusty Wonder Wheels and blow me if it didn't work a hellova lot better than normal when they're cold. Best wheel clean ever!
I did this again today although purposefully went out just to get the wheels hot beforehand. anyone care to explain the science behind why it works? And is all of my lacquer gonna fall off or something at some point?

Sponsored Links
Back