Newly painted front door badly sticks - why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've painted my front door in Dulux gloss black. I think I did everything right - sanded down and rubbed down inbetween each of the three coats. I painted early each morning and didn't close the door for at least 12hrs.

But when the door has been shut for a couple of hours its really hard to open - it sticks to the rubber strip surrounding the frame. This has also left a mark on the door. What should I do and how can I prevent this happening?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Gloss paint takes ages to dry. I guess you could remove the strip for a few days - it's not cold.

Gloss paint does indeed take ages to dry and the modern reduced solvent gloss we have these days takes forever.

Oh. That's not good! Even in this lovely warm weather and sunshine it's been sticking for four days.

Sponsored Links
Remember too that the paint layer will make your door wider so may always stick.

I tend to smear a very tiny amount of Vaseline along the closing strips.(after the gloss has gone dry). Gloss can take up to 30 days to harden/ cure.

Or run a bit of washingup liquid on your finger down the rubber. Bit like the vaseline.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back