Gate across shared pathway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are presently house hunting and one of the properties we are interested in is a semi-detached which shares access to the front of the house (footpath only) with the adjoining property – i.e. a single path skirts the front walls of each property and divides each house from its front garden. As we would own the first property, all access to the front of our neighbour’s house would be via our front garden. There is separate access to the properties from driveways at the rear.

For the sake of the children’s safety we would ideally like to put a gate across the entry due to its proximity to the roadside. This would be a simple wicket gate with some form of latch (it would not need locking as we are simply trying to keep the children from spontaneously running out into the road when chasing balls etc).

Is it a simple matter of agreeing the provision of a gate with the neighbours (we would meet the full cost) or is some kind of planning permission likely to be needed? As far as I am aware both properties are freehold but I am not familiar with the regulations governing access to one building via another person’s property. Providing we can agree this with the neighbours (and I see no particular obstacle in that direction) would the agreement be permanent or could this be rescinded if the neighbouring property was to be sold?

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The arrangements for access will be determined by the properties' deeds.

They are unlikely to specify whether a gate is or is not allowed or prohibited.

Planning permission unlikely to apply unless the gate is more than 6' high on a boundary.

If the access path is on a specific property, then normally the property owner owns the particular section of path, but a grant of access is given via the deeds

So yes, if you wanted to put a gate across this path on your property then you could do so without permission from the neighbour, but obviously you should make it clear to them that you are not denying them access or use of the path

It does not have to be formal, you can just tell them what you are doing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back