painting a ceiling which has lime wash or distemper on at pr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

we have just moved to Denmark...long story. We have bought a 1930s house which over here is pretty much the U.K.s 'Victorian' style.
Some ceilings and the stair well have a lime wash type coating.

Can we discuss the options:

Painting with more limewash.

Sealing it in some way. (any brand names for products ?)

Removing it prior to painting.

Some of the ceilings have small cracks..will polyfiller types 'take' O.k. or will I have to scape away around the crack...also will lime wash if reapplied take on the filler .

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Are sure that this is limewash, or perhaps a lime render or Distemper, my advice concerning all would be the same just would like to know what product we are dealing with.

Dec

Hello Dec,

well the thing is I wouldnt really know one from the other...tipps here would help also.
The surface is matt and if you pass your hand over it you get a chalky residue on your hand. It is a good finish, (as good as matt emulsion) especially on the ceilings.

Not much help I suspect.

Fair enough, my guess is that this would be a lime mortar lath & plaster ceiling and you will need to seal the surface prior to Decorating. What I would suggest would be the application of an oil based primer sealer, make sure you cover the entire area and when dry you will need to fill the cracked areas.

Toupret would be the product of my choice yet any powder filler should be ok, if the cracks are only hairline you could open them a little to allow the filler a better opportunity to form a bond. Once dry sand and apply another coat of sealer to the filled areas, you should then be ok to carry on with your Decorating.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dec,

would you have any idea of a brand name for the primer/sealer?

What say you to the idea of applying more lime wash after filling. Its not that I dont want to use modern materials but have read lots on the resurgence of lime washes/distempers...their advantages apparently being deeper colour, breathability, (this an advantage in older properties ?) non toxicity and green/sustainable, (assuming we can never run out of chalk and water).

As for the lathe and plaster you are right...its a bit different in that they use straw pinned to wood on to which they plaster,(i've seen this on some dividing walls in the cellar).

Anyone out there in favour of lime wash..or against it for that matter?
Cheers.

As Dec says, if you give the old surfaces a good wash down to remove all the loose/dusty stuff, you can then give it a couple of coats of cheap "oil based undercoat" or similar, to seal it all in. It smells a bit, but if you open the windows and doors, the smell soon goes.

Well I did'nt mention washing the ceilings down, as a matter of fact in these situations I don't think it is advisable, turning to the oil based undercoat it simply would'nt work.

There are two products capable of of providing a good result here and they would be either the sealer or a stabilising solution, and they both pong to ;) Going to brand names Dulux Trade Primer Sealer, Dulux Trade Stabilising Solution would be my choice yet to be fair any trade product would be fine.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back