confused on which boiler to choose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had decided on the Baxi Duo Tec 33HE boiler but now I have been told about the Potterton Promax HE from another installer. Are there many differences between the two and are they both reliable

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about it; the choice of your installer is many times more important than which of these boilers to go for.

Sponsored Links
I have not heard of these makes which models would you recommend

i have a 3 bed detached house, 2 bathrooms, dinning room, living room, conservatory study, kitchen and utiility room 2 radfiators in the kitchen living room and conservatory, 1 in all the other rooms

i would go for baxi both are as good as each other just little easier to find fault on baxi

They are both pretty much identicle inside. I am a big fan of these two boilers for the price, they are basically the old potterton performa/baxi 105 which has been refined fixing alot of the bad aspects of the old model, such as an improved electrical diverter valve (no that crappy mechanical one which always passed), a single main heatexchanger (no secondary recuperator), a nicely placed expansion vessel in the combustion chamber, so no more taking them off the wall to change it, and they are very easy to work on. The early ones had a problem with the electrodes but Baxi/Potterton have made these thicker now. Either model would be a good choice. This shows the insides http://www.plumbingandheatingforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=54

Most installers faced with a customer for whom cheapness was not the main objective would probably choose a Vaillant or a Viessmann.

What is a "thinking man"? I could not see that on the Viessmann web site.

Tony Glazier

I would not be thinking of any of the aforementioned boilers. Fitting a combi is in a house with two bathrooms, kitchen and utility is like buying a truck with a Fiat Panda engine.

Future proof the installation. Think UV cylinder with solar coil, and then you could use Baxi or some other boiler (does not have to be 33kw) which can be a combi (for hot water in the kitchen/ utility). Go on to split the heating zone into two to give you total three zones and now you have a system that is tuned to your needs saving fuel

Agreed, I would not be putting a combi in a 2 bathroom house. As for weather compensation, I personally think this over complicates things. We have just had a run of new housing estates we have had to rip this out where the manufacturer refused to come out and repair/replace their own programmers saying they were obsolete....2 years old!

Well you could argue your case to the people on the estate who put up with a freezing winter with their heating sometimes deciding to come on and sometimes not. They were rather glad to see the back of it.

On a well set up ( and well desinged ) system, the savings from wc are quite minimal.

What a load of rubbish.

Weather Compensation is forward sensing, it will always be better than a non-WC setup because the flow temperature constantly varies, on a "standard" system it is either on at 70C with 50C return. If you have weather compensation then the boiler flow temp will vary and keep the boiler condensing more which is a saving in gas.

I would expect 2% saving minimum on a like for like basis with weather compensation. If you go the whole hog and make the radiators bigger then the savings will be greater.

I can't wait for you dinosaurs to become extinct.

I would expect far less than 15%.

Interestingly, so would the people who design and sell the boilers.

From Vaillant's own website, and note it is not just apportioning weather comp to the predicted saving;

Correctly setting up controls of any type will help you to reduce your energy consumption. With daily switching period settings, seasonal settings, load compensation and weather compensation all maximizing efficiency, Vaillant estimates that a further 5%-10% saving on energy bills can be achieved with the use of programmable controls.

Dinosaurs are extinct but there are plenty of plebians masquerading as experts out there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back