Positioning of Gas Meter by Freeholder - no access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a first floor flat above a shop on the ground floor of a terrace and my gas meter has always been located in he shop where I was able to take readings when required. The freeholder of the property is now converting the shop into a residential flat and having said he would move the gas meter to a position where I could access it he has gone ahead and moved it to a new position within the ground floor property where I have no access. My relationship with the freeholder/developer is not the best for many other reasons (mainly party wall concerns) and now I have no way of taking readings or more importantly have no access to the isolating valve for the gas. Does anyone have any advice on the best way forward to resolve this. i never seem to get a clear answer from Transco. Also is there any way of finding out if the meter was moved by a qualified gas engineer? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You HAVE TO HAVE access to AN Emergency Control Valve - that's the one normally connected to the left side of the meter.
If there isn't one accessible, you should have another valve positioned eg near the entry to your property where you CAN reach it, easily.
That's normally the duty of the freeholder, kinda sorta handled between them and Transco. It's often a bit of a mess . You can only really keep batting at Transco or wheover your gas Network provider is. You can also have a go at whoever you pay your gas bill to, because they will come to you for gas readings if they can't get access.

Call Gas Safe Register and tell them that you have safety concerns ( bloody true ) about gaswork that has been done.
ONLY tell them that there doesn't seem to be a emergency valve any more.
DO NOT go into furhter detail on the phone.

Call ESP (Transco) on 0800 111999 tell them you yhink you can smell gas
they will tell you to turn off at the meter - you can then tell them that the meter is not accessible to you, they will attend within an hour and break in to the proerty to gain access to the meter, they will then notify the responsible person and hopefully it will get sorted!! ;)

Sponsored Links
I have had several customers in a similar position.

Previously, it was acceptable to have an additional valve located in the flat. However, the Gas Unsafe Situations Procedure has been updated recently and this is no longer acceptable.

It is now down to you (and at your expense) to have the meter re-located to make it accessible by you. Of course this should have been budgeted for when you purchased the flat.

If you call out Transco they could be within their rights to cap the meter.

as advised by others phone 0800 111 999 and report a smell you could be left without gas for a night but it will bring things to a head, the meter belongs to the supplier and you cant move it without written permission so the supplier will either have been paid to move the meter (unlikely if you dont have full access to it) or they will have a letter giving permission to a gas firm to do it, either way it cannot be moved to an inaccessible position, so someone will get a rocket for the new install, cant be your problem although you will have hassle either way until it gets resolved

Many thanks for the replies. I will attack this from all the angles and post the outcome. I am quite happy to have the meter moved into my demise at my own expense (within reason) as there is a suitable place I think - in the entrance hall where the gas pipe comes in, but with lack of co-operation from the freeholder and being given confusing advise by Transco here is no solution yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back