Dispute with Kitchen rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have recently had my kitchen stripped back and had a full rewire. When I got the original quote, my sparky who is a family friend quoted a price for putting 6 spotlights, lowering the light in the utility, oven, hob and hood coonections, 2 x sockets for plinth lights, 3 lower sockets, 2x double sockets and 2 x double circuit breakers with a fuse on the fuse box. He said he would order the materials online which was cheaper. A few weeks later, he showed up without wire or tools, he never showed up when he said he would therefore putting my other tradesmen back, the sockets are wonky, he didn't finish the cooker hood or the plinth lights. he told me a couple of weeks ago he had saved me approx £200 on the orginal quote in front of friends as he had got the materials cheaper. Since then his final price is £265 MORE than the reduced price he quoted and some of the work is still not finished.
I am at my wits end. I have not paid anything as I have disputed his price as it has changed that many times. Can you advise me please? I can see this turning nasty but I do not want to be ripped off.
p.s is £300 reasonable for 9 hours work?

Sponsored Links
If he didn't give you a contract that included this

http://www.bis.gov.uk/policies/cons...lling/off-premises-contracts-doorstep-selling

Then he has broken the law and you don't have to pay him anything.

However, is he a member of a competent persons scheme? Napit Niceic, Esa etc. If so speak to them.
If he isn't then what steps has he or you taken to comply with the Building Regulations?

Best bet is to speak to the Citizens Advice and get their views.

I don't think the absence of a written contract is, per se, illegal. In practice, with nothing in writing neither side can enforce anything on the other because it's word against word. In any case, the only legal enforcement action, with or without writing, involves solicitors, courts, and at the end of the day you're no further forward even if you win.

In practical terms, have a word with the other trades involved, get their recommendation for a sparky to come in and put things right (they'll have worked with someone they can trust), then argue the toss with the original bloke - point out all the inconveniences and extra costs of him not turning up, pay him for the goods supplied and tell him he's lucky to get that.

If he's as slapdash as you suggest he'll be out of your hair.

PJ

Sponsored Links
Polly what was the charge for the materials?
£300 for a good spark for 9hrs hard graft, maybe a little steep but not far of the mark. But sounds like the quality of work was a bit soddy!
By the way how did he fit it and make it work without tools or cable?

And the moral is, "dont work for family or friends"

You live and learn...all of the other tradesmen plumber. plasterer and joiner are paid and I was happy with their prices. You don't expect your back teeth to be extracted when it's someone you know

Polly what was the charge for the materials?
£300 for a good spark for 9hrs hard graft, maybe a little steep but not far of the mark. But sounds like the quality of work was a bit soddy!
By the way how did he fit it and make it work without tools or cable?

The materials were £265 but I checked that as well as he said he was getting the stuff online and didn't. If he had, I got the receipt checked and quoted by a large electrical supplier and I would have save £70-£100.
I feel so naive.
Oh and he had to come back with the tools on another day...I guess the pub was more improtant..and that's not a joke! Everytime he came to my house he had forgot something and disappeared for ages!!

If he wasn't suppling the plinth lights, about £200 should cover it.
If he's not made a good job you have every right to hold some money back.
Give the guy a chance to redeem himself, inform him it's now or never.
Tell him you will get the wonky sockets sorted by another and deduct this off his ballace.
Make sure you get certs for work though.

I don't think the absence of a written contract is, per se, illegal. In practice, with nothing in writing neither side can enforce anything on the other because it's word against word. In any case, the only legal enforcement action, with or without writing, involves solicitors, courts, and at the end of the day you're no further forward even if you win.
The contract may be verbal or written but the seven day cooling off period for work over £35 in value must be written and written in a specific way - if it is not then he has broken the law and you pay nothing.
Some savy consumers are exploiting this - However, given what you describe I'm sure you are not one of them.
I paid a solicitor to draw up my written contracts that incorporate the The Cancellation of Contracts made in a Consumer’s Home or Place of Work etc. Regulations 2008

Having broken the law if he tries to sue you he will lose - end of story.
My advice is still to speak to Citizens Advice if you want further clarification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back