House alarm goes off durring power cut or when fuses trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening, i have the above problem and i understand i have to replace the battery in the interior control panel to stop this happening. However as soon as i undo a screw on the control panel the alarm goes off. How do i stop this happening?

Thanks in anticipation

Doug

Sponsored Links
You need to set your alarm panel into "engineer mode".
This is by a series of button presses followed by a keycode.
The keycode is normally set when the alarm is installed, so the original installer will most probably need to be contacted unless you did itself. In which case, it will probably be the default, which is normally listed in the installation manual.

The panel thinks you are 'tampering' with it and so will go into alarm. To stop this happening you need to put it into 'engineer mode' before opening the cover. If you don't have the engineers code to do this, the alternative is to change the battery with the alarm going off. It will stop when you shut the cover and reset it.

Bah beaten by sdjl

Open cover, put in your code. It will silence.

Change battery taking care as there is mains present.

Refit cover, enter code and try to set.
If not set up as engineer tamper reset job done.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys, what kind of battery is it and how much are they in the UK? are they widely available?

What alarm system is it?
You have given no indication of what it could be. Remember the number on the keypad may not be the actual panel model.
Check the main panel for stickers, or if available the user manual.

Another way is to open the panel/end station and read off the battery itself. Remember mains is present and should be isolated prior.

Hiya, it is a Veritas system. I have no other details, only a piece of paper with the code on which was left for us by the previous property owners. It has a box outside with a green light wjhich flickers along the bottom of the box usually, when it goes off a blue lights flashes. All it offers me the options to do in the downstairs control panel box is set, full, or part. In the airing cupboard there is a bigger box with a small green light on. This is the box which, when opened, sets off the alarm. It keeps going off, either when there is a powercut, or when the alarm itself shorts out the electricity? I am guessing I may have to open it and put up with the alarm going off while i change the battery? i just don't know what type of battery it will need.

brilliant, thanks. Does one of those fit either alarm as i have no way of dinging out which one is the right one?

If it dont say on the panel lid

The 8c has 3 fuses on the far right of the pcb, the 8 & R8 are to the left, this might have changed but i'm sure you'll be okay :confused: :LOL:

Also make sure you keep a good regular check on the battery.

An AIRING CUPBOARD is POSSIBLY the WORST POSSIBLE PLACE for the control panel & battery.

It's TOO HOT. Battery will cook, will NOT last 5 yrs.

I have to service a 'take over' and change the batts. EVERY 6mths.

2 x 7Ah each time & not to be on the safe side, they always need to be replaced.

The alarm owner will not entertain the moving of the control panel & power supply.

The sooner it goes tits up the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back