My alarm panel shows PC (power cut) but power is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just noticed that my alarm panel shows PC. The power is on and everything else in the house is working. The battery was replaced earlier this year. If it thinks there is a power cut I suppose that means the battery is not charging. How long will it last and will the external bell start ringing when the internal battery goes flat or will the system just shut down?

Sponsored Links
Could it be warning you that a PC had occurred sometime - have you tried resetting the alarm with the key?

If it says PC the mains supply has gone off. The battery will be powering it now. I guess that either a fuse or breaker has tripped, or the transformer/power supply in the alarm panel has failed.

Eventually the battery in the control panel will go flat and then, if there is an additional battery in the sounder outside, the alarm will think because there is no power from the panel, the cable has been cut and go off.

I would suggest that you try to find out what has happened, otherwise the alarm could go off in the wee small hours, and because the main battery in the panel will have discharged you won't have any control to turn it off.

It should stop eventually on its own after 15-20 minutes.

Standards say the system should run on battery for at least 8 hours.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. There has definitely not been a power cut. It looks as if I and my neighbours are in for a disturbed night.

Put your code in and check the log.
Then exit and see what the display says.
There may have been a small power cut you have not noticed ( could have been out).
Code log reset may remove the warning.

I take it the display is red ?

Put your code in and check the log.
Then exit and see what the display says.
There may have been a small power cut you have not noticed ( could have been out).
Code log reset may remove the warning.

I take it the display is red ?

I have done that. The log showed o0 which apparently means Unset User 0. I have no idea what that means. The display is red and a small green light is showing on the panel. I think it is always there. It is still showing PC.

Sounds like a Guartec series.
Try setting and unsetting.
Should clear the message.

If PC still there check fuse in spur and at consumer unit. If they are all fine then probs the transformer.
Only way then to check is with a multi meter, only do so if confident with mains. If not call an engineer.

It didn't go off last night so that is a relief. It has lasted 12 hours already. An engineer is coming this morning so I hope all will be fixed soon.

If it is the panel i`m thinking of, they have probably fitted a 7ah battery and you have not got a lot fitted to it, 17 hours plus isnt unheard of in this case for standby. If not a little more.

Please let us know the outcome.

Disconnect the battery and see what happens.

Sorry about the delay in updating. Holiday and puncture intervened.

The alarm did not go off and the power supply was on. The panel was faulty and was replaced. All back to normal now.

Thanks to everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back