Hotpoint Aquarius FDW60 - not cleaning and alot white powder

C

charliebean

Hi, I hope someone can help.

Our dishwasher is a couple of years old.
It has started cleaning less efficiently, especially the top half, and leaves a white grit/powder everywhere. Especially the top but all over, and i can see the powder on the bottom interior of the machine near the door too.

I took the arms off and checked them for blockages, but thats ok.
checked the filter, and that is ok too.
Water is draining out - but i wonder could it be draining at the wrong point, or rinsing with dirty water first?

I use the finish all in one tablets, but also fill the salt dispenser, though not the rinse aid - I would think not...but could that be the problem?

Thanks very much for your help.
Best
Joel and Charlie

Sponsored Links
Pull out the top basket and undo the rear plastic lock nut on the back of the tub , see if the rubber seal has perished / split.

The seal looks ok. Its in good condition except for a little line/indent on the bottom edge, about 2/3mm deep, but it doesnt go all the way through, so i dont think it woull effect the water getting to the washer arm. Does this sound ok to you?

What should i check next?

Thanks
Joel and Charlie

I took it apart and removed the impeller part, which was fine, except i got behind it and cleaned in there because it had a lot of limescale and food crud (though mostly soft not hardened - so it wasnt stopping it going round, just)
After cleaning that i put it back together and ran it empty with a dishwasher cleaner, then an the dishes and glasses etc again - its a little better, but its still far from clean.

If i look on top of the cups and things afterward its like a little bit of spice size bits here and there, and gritty white stuff on the bottom of the dishwasher.

I took this photo of the inards, the bit bottom left that is orange - is that some kind of filter that is meant to be that colour, or is that clogged up and could it be my problem.
dishwasherinards.jpg

Please help - this is the third think in the kitch to break in the last 10 days, first the washing machine, which was totally broke, and we had to buy a new one, then the oven stopped working, and we had to fork out for a new element. Now this. Really cant afford to buy a new one.

Thanks
joel and Charlie.

Sponsored Links
Can u post a pic of the rear seal on the tub I need to see if it's worn. Also dont use 3 in 1 and salt it overdoses it. Can you run a hot wash with White vinegar to really give it a clean out.

here is a picture of the seal. This cross section one shows the graze best, you can see it top right. It is only as deep as you can see here.
sealcrosssection.jpg

Here is an example of the gritty dirt we get after a wash:
grit.jpg

Here is a close up photo of what i think is a filter? Or is it muck in there?
filterormuck.jpg

Thanks
Joel and Charlie

The seal is ok so is the chamber it's surpossed to be that colour , have you turned down the salt on the salt pot it's letting too much out. As I said before don't use 3 in 1 and salt it's overdosing it , did you run it with white vinegar a couple of times , try and suck out the salt pot with a vac.

I only added salt to the machine once this problem started, thinking that might be the problem.

So although the overdose of salt may not be helping, i think there is another cause. I could suck it out with a vac because the container has alot of water in it too.

I will buy some white wine vinegar today - how much should i use, a bottle full?

Thanks
Joel and Charlie.

I tried White wine v then a normal wash but still get the same problem. It's like the rinse water is a bit contaminated or something. What should I check now?

I found the problem. The top arm isnt spinning. When i open the door mid flow, the bottom spins to a stop, but the top one is always in the same place.

water is spraying out of it though.

I took the arm off and the seal where it connects is broken. I guess this is the problem, that without the seal there isnt enough pressure to spin the arm?

Im suprised its not still working better though. Is this the problem or do you think there is some other reason why its not spinning?

Thanks
Joel and Charlie.

Are all the holes clear in the spray arms and is there any loose bits inside the arms.

Yes seal is worn it comes with a complete top spray arm ,also get yourself a ring nut it may be worn on the inside it should be a tight fit when you push the top basket back. Both parts cost less than a tenner each.

there isnt anything in the arm, all the wholes are clear and water runs to each of them.

Here is a photo of the broken seal, i pulled it out a bit for the photo so you can see its broken.
photo11.jpg

Can that really be the cause though?

I guess its either that or not enough water going to the upper arm - but there is definately water getting to it because when i open the door water is draining out of each of the holes in it. Its just not spinning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back