raise the brick wall fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have an end of terrace ground floor garden flat in London Westminster council. At the end of terrace side the brick wall fence between me and my neighbours is 1.5 m (or 5 feet) high. How much can I raise it so as I gain more privacy?

Is it true that it can be up to 2 m (or 6 feet 6 inches) high without any planning permission?
Do I need to ask my neighbours if I add some wooden fence on top of the brick wall fence?

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I understand that the legal max height is 2mtrs,without planning permission,not sure if trellis is classed as fencing,but shrubs & conifers etc have no height limit,as for your neighbours consent,it's always better to ask, & keep them sweet.

You also need to establish whose wall it is!! If it is your boundary then yes, as previous post said, you can go to 2m high providing it is not on adjacent to a road (cant remember the exact rules but someone will tell you on here I am sure). However if its not your wall, but is the boundary to the neighbours house/flat then I'm afraid its pretty much hard luck.

You can force you neighbours to have a lower fence (if its above 2m high) but you cant force them to make it higher!

Either way I would suggest the best starting point is to have a word with your neighbours (even if it is your wall). Boundary disputes are one of the most common causes of legal action between neighbours and one, if it goes wrong, that you will have to declare when you sell up/move in the future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back