Asphalt / bitumen sub-floor cracking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

The ground floor of my house has what I believe to be an asphalt / bitumen damp proof layer and appears to be about 12mm thick. In the kitchen on top of the asphalt are vinyl floor tiles, stuck directly on.
The asphalt in the kitchen has begun to break up and crack, and has cracked the vinyl tiles with it. This is only happening in the kitchen, and it seems to be mostly where there’s the greatest traffic.
The house was built in 1988 and had one lady owner until I bought it a couple of years ago. I’ve noticed this happening gradually since I moved in (I didn’t see it when buying as there was lino down) I would guess that the tiles are the original flooring, however I don’t know for sure. All I know is that I didn’t lay them and that they’re old.

Has anyone any ideas why this might be happening?

What would be the best thing to do, remove and replace with what is there now or is there a better method available now? I need to sort it as it’s a mess and I want the floor tiling.

I know little about flooring other than that the asphalt acts as a damp proof membrane... and that there’s concrete below it. I wouldn’t be doing any of the repair work btw...

Again any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back