Combining PD and PP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. This is a little complicated so please bear with me.

1) I already have a certificate of lawfulness for a proposed loft extension that would have composed of a hip to gable conversion on the side and a large dormer at the back. I have NOT started any of this work.
I'm a little worried about the aesthetics of a hip to gable on my propery

2) Anyway, I am now in the process of preparing plans for planning permission to do a side 2 storey extension and a small first floor extension at the rear.

If I get permission for this I would still like to do a loft conversion (without hip to gable). However if the loft conversion goes via planning permission I would only be allowed a very small dormer on the back (so I have been told).

So, assuming I get PP, can I put the big dormer at the back using my PD and then start work and build the side two storey extension using PP?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks DD.

But does the PD enabled loft conversion have to have been started prior to applying for the PP for side extension? Or can I apply for the PP prior to starting the LC and everything still be above board?

Thanks

May I also ask you about the 45 degrees light rule please?

1) This might sound silly but I presume it applies to to the front of the house as well as the back?

2) Is it definite grounds for refusal of PP? Is it black and white?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It doesn't or shouldn't matter which way you apply. However, if you apply for a LDC during or after the works have been carried out, then the fee's are more. Apart from that, everything else should be fine... providing you're confident the works do fall within PD.

Not all LA's adopt the 45 degree rule. It can be determined on a case by case basis. Some adopt a 45 degree rule (for two storey extensions) and some adopt a 60 degree rule (for single storey extensions). However, if the proposals fall under PD, then the rules are irrelevant.

Thanks DD.

The two storey side and part first floor rear extension will require PP and so PD will not apply.

Somebody is trying to tell me that the 45 degree rule only applies to rear extensions and not to assess the impact of side extensions on your neighbour. Is this correct?

Thanks again

Somebody is trying to tell me that the 45 degree rule only applies to rear extensions

That's incorrect. It can also apply to (two storey) front extensions.

not to assess the impact of side extensions on your neighbour. Is this correct?

I'm not sure what you mean. Of course a side extension would have an impact on the neighbouring building.

Sorry if my question is confusing as I'm jumping from topic to topic.

There is a two storey side and first floor rear extension I want PP for. I was told by somebody that the 45 degree rule doesn't apply to the impact of side extensions on your neighbour's light.

I have this morning rung my LA planning dept, the duty planner was unavailable but somebody working there told me the following with regards to light and side extensions...

The 45 degree test is not used on any windows that your neighbour has facing forward, however if your neighbour has a window facing to the side then the rule applies.

Firstly do you agree with that DD? Does that sound correct?

If you do then my neighbour has one window facing the street which will be impacted by my proposed extension, so that can be potentially ignored.

He also has one window facing the side which could be affected BUT that room also has another window facing forward. So even if I impacted his light from the side in this room the forward facing window will still provide plenty of light. In this case could the impact I have on this rooms side window be ignored by the LA?

Many thanks

Basically, the depth of your extension would be governed by a 45 degree line taken on the centre line of a window of the neighbouring property that is serving a habitable room or to a kitchen if it is deeper than 2m (as the LPA then look at it as a kitchen/diner, thus making it part habitable).

Do you have any drawings/photos, which I think I asked in the other thread?

I'm on my phone at the moment but as soon as I get home I'll put up some photos. I'm not sure if the hosting facility on here will allow me to put up the plans which are of course documents/files.

Are you saying that the 45degree rule may apply even if the neighbours window is facing to the front?

Yes. Any window serving a habitable room (or kitchen) on the neighbouring property.

If you want, email the details to me... [email protected] and I'll have a look.

Yes I do. Am looking at the drawings and photos now.

Sorry but have been out of the country for a few weeks.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to Devil Damo for all the great advice he provided me with via pm :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back