Running a power cable to the end of the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're planning to build a patio at the end of the garden soon and I'd like to run some cabling to it for a pair of patio lights and, possibly, an outdoor power socket.

Can anyone advise me on what kind of cable will be appropriate, what kind of trunking it should go in and how deep I should bury it?

It's about 30 feet from the back of the house to the garden and I'll be leaving a coil of wire taped up at each end for the electrician to deal with.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
pointdexter said:
Hi,

We're planning to build a patio at the end of the garden soon and I'd like to run some cabling to it for a pair of patio lights and, possibly, an outdoor power socket.

Can anyone advise me on what kind of cable will be appropriate, what kind of trunking it should go in and how deep I should bury it?

It's about 30 feet from the back of the house to the garden and I'll be leaving a coil of wire taped up at each end for the electrician to deal with.

Cheers

youll have to use SWA buried 450mm deep, covered with sand and tape warning on electrical cable. depending on how bright the lights are etc they can be done in 1.5mm. best use 2.5mm for sockets

or 4mm if there is any risk ther might be two double sockets or a shed added at a later date - the hard work is going to be the 18" trench, not the cable. I'd advise 3 core, rather than using 2 core and relying on the braid for earthing, it is marginally more pricey, but not much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back