Phone line installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure that this is a very simple answer.

I've recently bought a house and there is no phone line properly connected. Wires come to the house/externally, but they dont come through the wall and are all cut off and scraggy.

Would BT come along and do this free? Or would i be expected to make some sort of terminal outside (on the external wall) and route through into the inside terminal?

Kindest regards to all more experienced than I, Hockayak

Sponsored Links
You would need to pay BT to make the line good before reconnection. Regardless of whether the damage was caused by you or not. Effectively it is a new installation. Cost will be around £100-150.

Or get a Virgin Media line, free installation and much better broadband deals than you will find via BT.

If you talk nicely and are "new" willing to commit to a lengthy contract customer BT might not charge for the work to install ( or repair ) the connection.

While "other" phone providers appear to give better deals you need to read the small print and also consider what happens when things go wrong.

For example phones on a cable network rely on having power at the equipment cabinet in the street. Power cuts to the area can knock out cable services including the telephones. BT phones connected to the exchange will continue to work during prolonged power cuts as the exchanges all have reliable stand by power supplies.

Whilst Bernard is correct but in the event of a power cut in your area nothing else in your house is going to work either, no broadband tv etc(you will also need to plug in a plain ordinary phone ie not powered ) so unless it's vitally important you have a BT landline look for cheaper options. I would google sam knows and see what options your local exchange is enabled for , just enter your post code etc.
You may be lucky and be in an area for fibre to home who knows, BT are not the only option you have unless your way out in the sticks like me.

Come back with what you find this may be purged by the mods but try and avoid Talk Talk.

Sponsored Links
I recently moved and there was no phone line here what so ever.
BT fitted as new line FOC as I took one of their option plans. I would have prefered a seperate Internet Providor but the deal was use them or pay £200 for the line.
So they won and I got it for free.
Must say I get the speed promised, but my line is directly connected to the exchange 800 mtrs away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back