New electricity meter - an oddity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just had a new meter fitted, so before they were due to arrive I switched off the sensitive stuff like computers, etc. and then turned off the isolator and made a note of the reading on the old meter. When I got back from work, there was a nice new digital meter fitted, and a card showing the old meter reading and the new meter reading - 00000. But the digital display showed 00001, and this was before I had turned the isolator back on. Hmm...

Now I'm not bothered about the 10p worth of electric, but I'm wondering: a) do they do some sort of test on the meter that makes it go up a bit; b) should the card have stated 00001; or c) is my electric leaking out somewhere ;) (that's a joke!)

Or possibly, if they do this on every meter fitted, it's worthwhile as all those pennies would add up...

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Probably the meter man does some final tests to check the meter is actually outputting something.
That may mean some current flow through the meter, at your cost.

When i fit a meter, i allways turn the power on and check that the constant LED is flashing and that the meter advances by on unit if possible

Thought it would be something like them doing a test - he must have done the test at the meter terminals as it is outside in a box, and the isolator is inside a locked garage on the other side of the wall.

Now I can move that bucket I put there to catch the electrons.... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If the meter installer has tested the meter properly, then your first bill using the new meter will start from the reading 00001, and not from 00000.

If anyone is interested, the new bill started at 00000.
So maybe there is a profit to be made getting a couple of pence from every electricity user...

If anyone is interested, the new bill started at 00000. So maybe there is a profit to be made getting a couple of pence from every electricity user...
Well, given that almost all electricity consumed within an installation ends up as heat by one process or another, I guess your house probably benefitted from that 1 unit's worth of heat - so maybe it's not so unjust :)

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back