Structural Engineers in Bristol?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Wondering if i can ask for some advice.

We have just got planning for an extension, which is good.

I know we need a structural engineer for things like foundations beams etc.

The thing i dont know is how much detail they are likely to go into, or it needs to be.

We need a small retaining wall on 1 side of the property, will they design it, and give me plans or will they just say you need one?

Also things look roof timbers and floor joists, do they provide detailed specifications for all these types of things??

Also does anyone have recommendations from the Bristol area.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Cheers
A

Sponsored Links
Self building or contractor? Know anything about Building Regs? How high is the retaining wall? Any trees near the extension? Open ceiling or flat ceiling?

Bit of both,

I am going to get people in to do each , so not one contractor doing the whole lot.

No trees, retaining wall will be 1ft above my ground level.

I know a little bit about building regs. But will hopefully arrange to speak to the building inspector so he can decide what phases he needs to come and sign off.

I know people wont be able to provide specific advice, i was hoping for more general advice about what a SE actually does.

Cheers
A

Yes they can do the retaining wall and timber members.. As well as specs..
Just bear in mind if you pay very little expect limited information in return..

Sponsored Links
A 1ft retaining wall hardly needs any design. You can get trusses designed by the supplier. If you have limited knowledge of Building Regs your cash would be better spent employing a technician to do you some Building Regs drawings. Unless you have unusual ground conditions they will be fine to do the founds too.

Thank you Static.

Yes i realize if you want a good job you pay proper money.

Things on my ask list are:

foundation depth, width, concrete spec.

retaining wall design, and material spec.

concerete pad spec

Floor timber specs
1st floor ceiling timber spec

Roof timber sizes specification, and design.

lintels for windows and openings.

Steel for supporting a floating wall. The upstairs is set back from the ground floor. (apparently its a design feature? according to planning!)

Can you think if anything else i might require?

Also do you know what a fair price might be for such work? Just a vague range would be good, i know thats a bit how longs a bit of string?

Thanks

A

Will probably require a visit to site, would normally be to view a trial pit dug down to existing foundation level to assess the ground. But may also need to look at your odd design feature floor.

Assuming your getting an architect o work up plans, then structural info can be marked on these or use these as a base to create building regs/construction drawings.. surveying and creating plans from scratch can work out costly..

If you have any complicated details then you should ask for construction details/plans as this will give your builder a chance to build it and quote properly..

Its worth finding out how much site visits during construction will cost and then setting asside for say 1 visit in case the builder finds something odd..

If you go trussed roof its normal for the manufacturer to design this and would normally be cheaper than getting it done by the engineer (unless your roof is complex or you wish to convert the space to habitable in the future.

Oh and a 1ft retaining wall can be done as part of the cavity wall, its the tanking of this that gets complex, which is something an architect can do without trouble..

Very hard to give a ball park cost without knowing all the facts, so could be anywhere from £250-£1.5k.. assuming its a fairly small extension with no swimming pools etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back