Relocating a socket to the other side of a door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I have to relocate a socket, which is on the ring-main.
This will obviously mean extending two cables to the other side of the doorway.
I was thinking of removing the current back box, using choc-block (junction blocks) to extend each of the cables, and run it on the floor across the doorway.

THe floors are concrete, and will be having carpet laid in a week.
2 questions:
1)is my method of re-routing the ring-main safe one?
2) is chiselling the flor away to make a cable run, and then filling on top of it he right wy to do things?

thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
A number of factors - is the concrete you intend to chisel structural? (upstairs or ground floor) It obviously makes make a difference. :LOL:
Assuming its OK, you should probably try and bury some tube (oval plastic conduit would be fine, but thee are many other options) to protect the cable from trowel damage.

If you are leaving wires in the wall, and removing the socket, it needs to be obvious that they are there - the rules say wiring in a wall should be above/below or to the sides of a fitting, or protected by earthed metal conduit or similar. If you leave a blanking plate there, then that would count as alerting people to the presence of wiring, or can you join on elsewhere. (some of us are known to leave dummy blanking plates just to show the wiring is present at the top of a drop, when a cable run from floor to ceiling and doesn't otherwise need one.)
Note also that screw joins should be left in an inspectable position - not plastered over.

personally i'd just leave the existing socket where it is (fit an unswitched one if you don't want a switch sticking out) and then spur off it for the new socket.

Sponsored Links
I'm more or less with Plugwash. You can put your new socket on a spur off the old one and either keep both or replace the old one with a terminal block and a blanking plate.

As for chiselling your way through concrete, if it's an upper floor make sure you don't break right through - and if it's a ground floor don't breach your damp proof membrane. Have you considered going up and over the top of the door instead? It might be easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back