Vitrex floorwarm electric underfloor heating for tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is the right subforum - the flooring section seems to exclude tiles, so I'll pick this one!

Long story cut short: Popped into Focus today expecting to get nothing, came out with a load of tiles and 5m2 of Vitrex floorwarm underfloor electric heating for nearly 60% off. Hurrah, bathroom 4.9m2, perfect.

Get home, open pack and read blurb, realise that once shower, sink, toilet taken into account, it's < 3m2 heatable floorspace. Can't cut heating wire of course. But CAN take heating cable off mat to do awkward areas, "but cable must NEVER be spaced less than 5cm". Cable is currently spaced by the mat to be 8cm. Instructions say "never cross cables, purchase slightly less than floor area".

So if I (or rather, someone who has a clue) took the cable off the mat and lay it all at 5cm spacing, would that help to get my bathroom floor warmer, quicker during the 4am-8am off-peak period I plan to run it, when it would be needed most? (It's FREEZING in that bathroom usually).

Why aren't I phoning Vitrex? Because Focus have 1 3m2 pack left, they're holding until tomorrow AM, and where am I ever going to get the opportunity to get almost 60% off? If it was you, would you:

A: Take back the oversize mat, leaving you with a £25 credit you had to spend there and then at a store with nothing else left you wanted?

B: Keep the oversize mat, buy the smaller mat, and chance the oversize mat on ebay?

C: Keep the oversize mat and risk doing the "packing the element at 5cm" bodge and go for a quicker-warming floor.

D: Keep the oversize mat, lay it as normal in the bathroom tiled floor, then extend the rest of the heating cable through an adjoining wall and lay it under a carpeted floor in the next room?

Any other thoughts?

(incidentally, if you're wondering why 60% when it should be 50%, the manager put an extra 15% off a door with a ding, but when we got home we realised it had applied an extra 15% to the post-discounted price of the entire receipt, which I suppose make a total of 57.5% off the total for the flooring? Anyway, we'd lose that on exchange, I'm sure).

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't call adjusting the spacing of the heating element 'a bodge'. As long as you stick to the manufacturer's instructions and don't space at less than 50mm, it will work fine, and will indeed heat the floor quicker. It'll be a pain to remove it all from the mat of course, and it is for this reason that I much prefer loose wire kits when you know there will be a lot of obstructions to work around.

I'd go with choice B.

Much less messing about and you're likely to get what you paid for the mat on ebay since you got 60% off.

Sponsored Links
I'd go with choice B.

Much less messing about and you're likely to get what you paid for the mat on ebay since you got 60% off.

Turned out fine in the end - was just setting off when I had a chance phone call with my dad who, it turned out, needs about 5m2 for his greenhouse. So I actually ended up buying 2m2 and he insisted on giving me the 50% price for the 5mq "cos that's what it would have cost him anyway".
He's happy, I'm happy, everyone's a winner!

That's serendipity for ya! Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back